Logarithm scale in requester chest

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

logarithm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Logarithm scale in requester chest

Post by logarithm »

Could we have logarithm scale on setting quantity in requester chest? And buttons for fast choose?
Something like that:
logarithmic buttons in requester chest.PNG
logarithmic buttons in requester chest.PNG (715.44 KiB) Viewed 4512 times

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logarithm scale in requester chest

Post by SilverWarior »

I would say that the ability to simply type in the desired amount would be better.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I find it much more important to base every amount of items on the number of items in one stack.

It makes no sense to select 100 cars: you need 100 stacks! It makes no sense to select only 1 iron plate. There is nothing you can built with one plate.

So when X is the amount of items in a stack, then it is a big difference if X is 1, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 100, 128, 500, 512 or more...
This is not linear, it's just nice numbers.

The buttons are a good idea to show the amount in a stack and have shortcuts to 1/X, 2/X, 4/X, 10/X, X/2, X, 2X, 4X, etc.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

logarithm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by logarithm »

SilverWarior wrote:I would say that the ability to simply type in the desired amount would be better.
I will be happy as long every chest inherit starting amount same as last amount regardles of requested goods, so i don't need to type "100" every time.
ssilk wrote:So when X is the amount of items in a stack, then it is a big difference if X is 1, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 100, 128, 500, 512 or more...
This is not linear, it's just nice numbers.
I like this scale.

I simply hate setting amount using this slide, it takes to much time. For most cases x100 is perfect for me.
I never used amount between 1K-20k other then 20k "all".

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

ssilk wrote:I find it much more important to base every amount of items on the number of items in one stack.
This.

Numbers should go from 1 to full stack and then from 1 stack to max stacks (depending on chest).
Non-full stacks are evil, unless they're the only stack of this item in a container. Interface defaulting to full + partial stack mix causes unnecessary suffering.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. This is a good point.

Either you want something to fill one stack (1, 2, 3... Items), or you want exactly one stack, two stacks etc.

It's a very special case, where you need 2 and a half stack and for that case the interface might be a bit more complicated (slider or just input number). But I mean 95% could live with this two input methods.

Btw. The number of maximum stacks depends for the inventory of the maximum number of stacks of this inventory. That was the second input method. But there is a third, which depends on the number of free stacks in this inventory (1/2 of free inventory, 1/4 etc).

And there are other good numbers: the number of stacks for a car or wagon.

So in the end I come up with the following input possibilities:
1. Based on items in a stack
2. Based on this (free) stacks in a inventory (free stacks is an option)
3. Based on other sizes of inventories (what kind of chest is an option)
4. Free input

When choosing a input type and number, it remembers that for this possibility, type of item and/or type of inventory. All possibilities, cause I currently don't know, what is the best way.

Btw. The same is it with the display of items: currently we see for example "107k iron plates" in he display of logistic network. But much more useful would be how many stacks or chests or wagons that are.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Need to add something here, sorry for double post.

1. Stack limiter should behave also like that: either I want to limit it to whole stacks. Like now. But when I've only one stack, I want to reduce the size of this stack: Half stack, quarter stack etc.
It would be a good thing, if the stack limitation and the item-requester would look and feel much more similar.

2. Rules in smart inserters: they also need to set the number of items, and that number depends on how many chests are connected! And in v0.9 they will add the logistic network to the smart inserter, which also contains numbers of provider chests or storage chests. So we have more important units: single items, stacks, but also whole chests (maybe also wagons...)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”