Give offshore pump an output arrow

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Give offshore pump an output arrow

Post by sillyfly »

Every other entity with directional fluid handling has an arrow for fluid in/out - the offshore pump is the only one that doesn't.
For consistency, I suggest giving the offshore pump such an arrow too. Should also help new players who are not sure where the pipe should connect.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Give offshore pump an output arrow

Post by ssilk »

I think this is a good find, moved to bugs, leaving a link in suggestions.
If it's not a bug, just move it back. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Steam engines also don't have an input arrow, which might be why many new players wonder why their steam engines aren't working when they do this:
https://imgur.com/Kdjb4Ml

(from https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ite_being/)

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

it's more common to see the engines off by one laterally for new players as the graphic shows a pipe connection quite clearly but it's hard to judge where it is on the sprite.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

The issue with Steam Engines is that there is no clear direction - the flow could go either way, depending on how you connect them.
For the offshore pump the flow only ever goes one way, so there is really no excuse for it not having the arrows.

For the steam engine there are a few possible solutions, each with it's own drawbacks:
1. Put in/out arrows on each end. This could be confusing, as it's the only place in the game where they appear.
2. Make both in or both out, or only mark one of them. Again - can be confusing.
3. Make the steam engine directional, so it can only have steam go in one way and come out the other. In my opinion this is the best solution if it is deemed that steam engines should have the indicators, but it has the major drawback of not being backwards compatible - statistically, 50% of existing steam engine configuration would need to be flipped to work.

But all of this is not an issue for the offshore pump, which is why I think there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't have the indicator.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”