High colour contrast mode

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TimMJN
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

High colour contrast mode

Post by TimMJN »

Hi,

I, as a colourblind person, am having some troubles with the game. For example, today I spend half an hour looking for a viable stone source, but every time I got there, it turned out to be copper. There's also the problem with logic wires being very hard to see, and roboport overlays.

I'm not suggesting the very extensive colourblindness mode that the Borderlands franchise uses, in which you can select the type of colourblindness you have and the pallette is changed accordingly. But, a graphics option which increases the colour contrast would be appreciated by a lot of people, I think.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: High colour contrast mode

Post by deepdriller »

I can help... a little bit, at least.
I made changes to the graphics of the wires. They are a lot more visible now. It also makes them look more ugly.
Simply place these in Factorio/data/core/graphics, and tell me if it helps.
As for the roboport visualization, could you be more specific?
Attachments
red-wire.png
red-wire.png (535 Bytes) Viewed 5164 times
green-wire.png
green-wire.png (528 Bytes) Viewed 5164 times
copper-wire.png
copper-wire.png (550 Bytes) Viewed 5164 times

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

You can use this mod for the roboport visualizations:
[MOD 0.9.x] Colorblind Roboport Radius Overlay (links to oLaudix bugfix that works in 0.12.26)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

A colour blind mode should be added to graphic options though. Blizzard for example uses one in their interface, so instead of red / blue, you get (I believe) Orange and blue for friend / foe. Someone having colour blindness shouldn't be an issue for the interface, when really all that's needed is a few hex colour changes and a UI tick box (must be hella frustrating to not be able to clearly and easily identify resources).

No reason not to add a colour blind option, or other settings to help those with visual impairments, not the first time I've seen this requested in a short time too :!:
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

TimMJN, I fogot to ask what colours would be more suitable for you as a colour blind person, for the parts of the game you are having issue with? I'm genuinely curious, I do know that in the war being colour blind was considered an asset for red / green blindness as seeing through camouflage was easier, I just read it's a no go for the military these days though maybe that varies by country.

edit: "It affects 1 in every 12 males in this country but less than 1 in every 200 females". It's a lot more common than I realised too.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

TimMJN
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TimMJN »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've installed them, and they're already helping a lot!

I realize this is a hard thing to implement, as colourblindness can differ hugely from person to person. I, for example, can tell the difference between the logic wires by looking very hard, since they're relatively bright. But distinguishing stone and copper on the map is just impossible for me. It was getting pretty frustrating I must say, thinking "ah, I've find the perfect spot for a stone quarry", driving there and finding myself in a huge copper field every time.

Ofcourse, there are more urgent matters to attend to right now, but I would love to see this issue given some thought for the final release.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hi, I'm not colorblind, so I can't tell if this would help or not, but in the install folder of Factorio, espcially here : \data\base\graphics\entity, you have folders for the ingame graphics.
Maybe opening in any picture editor stone\stone.png on one hand, and copper-ore\copper-ore.png on the other hand, and changing their colors in a way you can distinguish them may help you ?

I would suggest paint.net if you're under Windows and don't have such a software installed.

It won't replace a color blind option in the game, but will surely be faster :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

Colorblind mode ?

Post by ritonlajoie »

Hello,
I have a hard time distinguishing ore/copper on the game, and especially on the map.
Is there some mode that would change the colors of those to be more different ?
Thank you !

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Merged topics because well ... Same subject :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ritonlajoie »

thanks !

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

deepdriller wrote:I can help... a little bit, at least.
I made changes to the graphics of the wires. They are a lot more visible now. It also makes them look more ugly.
Simply place these in Factorio/data/core/graphics, and tell me if it helps.
As for the roboport visualization, could you be more specific?
TY very much for this.
While not colorblind, my eyesight does suck so I often have a hard time seeing the copper wires between electric poles.
Replaced the copper wire graphic with your red wire graphic and now they are much easier to see.
redpower.jpg
redpower.jpg (163.65 KiB) Viewed 4948 times

ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ritonlajoie »

Guys have a look at this. I talked to a guy on IRC and he instandly made that for us !

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22652

Super nice !

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”