Suggestion: Arctic biome, Changing weather

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ThirteenEra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Suggestion: Arctic biome, Changing weather

Post by ThirteenEra »

For a while now both me and my friends have been having the same discussion - "Imagine how good it would be to have a snow biome?".

The more i think about it, the more i love the idea. A biome that is snow-white, with occasional trees and frozen water (that you can walk on, but not build). Honestly, i find the forest biome to be a bit too gloomy, and I don't think there's a person out there who would not be cheered up by snow :P

And on the topic of weather, why not add cosmetic-only changing weather? I.e. a small drizzle, some snowflakes, maybe thunder with some light flashes? Make it occur rarely, simply as a way to make background a bit less... Same?

I know factorio is a game about automation and construction and exploration and all that. And i am deeply grateful for all the core updates that we're getting. But maybe it would also be a nice idea to get some cosmetic update as well (not talking about the amazing new models for buildings that we got, but rather the "background" and the world itself).

What do you think? Snowy biome and slight weather patterns? Yay or nay?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Suggestion: Arctic biome, Changing weather

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=342&p=133677#p133677 Events (Environmental disasters)
and
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes

That is also wanted by the devs, but logically you need then to change also the game-behavior a bit. For example: Makes no sense, that the water is then 15 degrees "warm". Maybe you can barely find water, cause all is frozen.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ThirteenEra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThirteenEra »

You could say that the process of pumping it assists in warming it to room temperature. Same way that transport belts require no electricity to run.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

ssilk wrote:Makes no sense, that the water is then 15 degrees "warm". Maybe you can barely find water, cause all is frozen.
The pumps don't get the water from the surface, they get it from deep in the lake where it is warmer. If the pumps got water from the surface, then the water flow would stop and start depending on the level of the lake which would logically be effected by droughts and rainfall.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, logically, if we have warmer water in the depth, why not hot water? That is suggested MANY times.
And if we have hot water, what is then technically the difference between hot water and cold water?

You see eventually not my point: Before we have such biomes, there are much more suggestions around having geothermal energy. If we have that, then changing basic temperatures (of water) is just another feature of a chunk/tile. And depending on that we can have seasons.

And if we have seasons, I'm quite, quite sure, they implement snow/arctic. Changing over time.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”