Storage Buildings to Replace Chests

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mad Inventor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Storage Buildings to Replace Chests

Post by Mad Inventor »

Storage Buildings

Summary – Replace the wood/iron/steel chests with different sizes/shapes of buildings that "pool" resources in the same way as cargo wagons.

Advantages –
The new buildings will allow more use of the resource sorting/routing techniques that players have until now used stationary cargo wagons for.
The buildings can work with the new circuit/logistic network “connnectors”, unlike cargo wagons, and save space versus adding a connector for every chest.
More intuitive, to use storage items for storage and cargo wagons for moving items, so the buildings that replace chests are still useful versus just using cargo wagons. Wagons remain useful because they can be moved by trains.
The new buildings are more differentiated from each other than just “wood/iron/steel”, used in different ways because of their different sizes/shapes, and can require different technologies and recipes.

Notes -
The limitations – as I understand the game at the moment - of using chests for storage versus the cargo wagons/cars, is that a vehicle is an entity that occupies multiple tiles while still "pooling" all the different items inside into one set of stacks.
You use separate inserters on each tile around the wagon/car to handle different resources, using the item filters on smart inserters - essentially the player gets free transport of the right kind of item to each inserter.
Players use this as the basis for resource sorting and prioritizing in ways that can be more compact, and more controllable and flexible than using belts and splitters or even the logistic robots.
In the case of cargo wagons there are even stack filters which allow the player to set different storage limits for each different item.

The system of network connectors is described in the dev blog Friday Facts 123.
I like this system in general, and because it also makes smart chests and logistic chests unnecessary (any storage facility can be connected to the networks) there is room for different kinds of storage facilities with different sizes.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Storage Buildings to Replace Chests

Post by Arch666Angel »

There is a s***load of mods out there that add chests and warehouses of various sizes to the game already :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Storage Buildings to Replace Chests

Post by ssilk »

And to make it clear: A big number of mods is - as with suggestions - in my opinion a good sign, that it might be implemented to vanilla at some time.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”