Car behavior: brake then reverse need two inputs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Car behavior: brake then reverse need two inputs

Post by TN_Creator »

Hi,

it's not a big deal but this is a thing that I find anoying. When driving the car, if we want to reverse, we have to brake using reverse key, then when the car is fully stopped, press reverse again to actually go backward. And again for stopping and going forward again. When doing some maneuvers in the base, it is frustrating.

Is there any way to prevent this? thanks!

Syx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Car behavior: brake then reverse need two inputs

Post by Syx »

I too used to find this annoying, but actually it is really useful. Reason being that the car doesn't stop when you get out if it's rolling along, and the behaviour of holding "brake" until it comes to a complete halt means you don't find the car freewheeling off after you get out!

Maybe a "handbrake" could be added which acts like the current brake, to work in conjunction with your suggested behaviour?

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

moved to ideas and suggestions

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21022

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yes, I see both points of this problem, the brake effect is useful, but can also be annoying when you just want to go backwards.

Actually, the one I find annoying is when you let it freewheel to a stop, then press backwards. I don't know if it does this in the current state of the game, but last time I tried, it basically did nothing, because it was still registered as going forwards, and put on the brake, rather than going backwards.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I think that the game should react as it does now, but with the change that pressing the S key would only stop the car for two (or any other amount of) seconds, then it would react like pressing the button again, e.g. reversing.
The same would be true when trying to drive forward.
When pressing W and the car is going backwards it will stop like it already does, but within 1 or 2 seconds will take that input as new input and accelerate the car again.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hexicube »

daniel34 wrote:I think that the game should react as it does now, but with the change that pressing the S key would only stop the car for two (or any other amount of) seconds, then it would react like pressing the button again, e.g. reversing.
The same would be true when trying to drive forward.
When pressing W and the car is going backwards it will stop like it already does, but within 1 or 2 seconds will take that input as new input and accelerate the car again.
Actually, I'd change that to 0.4s instead of 2s. Most people should be able to stop holding S (or W) in that time-frame to keep it stopped, and it should be fairly fluid for actually continuing on if you don't want to just stop.

Kaiji
Inserter
Inserter

A vehicle issue I haven't seen mentioned.

Post by Kaiji »

Joined into this topic, cause identical. -- ßilk

The thing that makes controlling the car feel clunky and very irritating for me is that if I'm reversing and I press W to go forward in anticipation of the vehicle stopping, it stops and doesn't go forward. I then have to release the W key and press it again.

The same applies the other way around. If I'm going forward and I press S to stop, I then have to release and re-press S to reverse. This makes driving the car a real pain.

Ideally the car would come to a stop and if I'm holding S or W at that point, just automatically move instead of just sitting there.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”