Shift-clicking chests

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Player 1
Inserter
Inserter

Shift-clicking chests

Post by Player 1 »

If you Shift-click a chest (outside the chest inventory screen) the player should automatically transfer a full stack of chest resource into his hand. (This is a mix between Ctrl-clicking and Shift-clicking inside a chest, and is in addition to these shortcuts.)

How this will work in detail:
In order to not disrupt the chest order, the slot retrieved will be the last resource listed in the chest. However, if this isn't a FULL stack of the resource, the game should check if there are any more in the chest (counting from the last resource downwards) and transfer resources until the stack is either full, or there is no such resource in the chest. Also, if the hand is full when you Shift-click, the resource that's in your hand when you click, will be transfered to your inventory before the new stack is picked up. This will result in players being able to rapidly pick up any number of stacks from chests, without needing to open them.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Shift-clicking chests

Post by ssilk »

Sounds like a more or less logic extension. How will you explain, that you cannot foresee which item-type will be taken, if there are different items in the chest?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Player 1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Player 1 »

ssilk wrote:How will you explain, that you cannot foresee which item-type will be taken, if there are different items in the chest?
Well, Alt does display the order in which the items are stored. You will get the last of the icons listed. If there are more than four kinds of resources in the chest that you Shift click, then don't be surprised if you don't get the resource that you wanted. :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Honestly, I find this "algorithm" awkward. KISS
Ctrl-Click = get all, if you want only part, open and help yourself. Simple, straightforward, unmistakable.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Player 1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Player 1 »

Koub wrote:Honestly, I find this "algorithm" awkward. KISS
Ctrl-Click = get all, if you want only part, open and help yourself. Simple, straightforward, unmistakable.
It's only complicated in the way that it's programmed. All the PLAYER needs to do, is Shift-click for each stack he wants from a chest.
This shortcut would eliminate ever having to open chests containing a single resource.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In my eyes a suggestion like this is only a sign for the devs, that there needs to be something done.

The solution is simple: I think with 0.13 it can be awaited that the module-stuff is much more modable. That enables to create modules, that do that job as described. Or have other ideas. If one idea of such a module is really good it normally will be implemented into the game.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Sammikins
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sammikins »

To add to this. I'd like to be able to shift click most items that only require one specific item, to load it with a stack of said item from my inventory.

If I shift click a furnace that is placed in the world, a stack of coal gets tossed in. If I shift click a turret, a stack of ammo goes in.

Player 1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Player 1 »

Sammikins wrote:To add to this. I'd like to be able to shift click most items that only require one specific item, to load it with a stack of said item from my inventory.

If I shift click a furnace that is placed in the world, a stack of coal gets tossed in. If I shift click a turret, a stack of ammo goes in.
Well, what if you carry on you a stack of coal, a stack of solid fuel (that you get from oil), a stack of wood, a stack of regular bullets, and a stack of armor piercing bullets.
What is inserted where?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”