An Actual Trash Can

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

An Actual Trash Can

Post by Griffon0129 »

I'm new to the forums and the game, I've finished the Tutorials and about got the ship into space, just have to build all the parts. Anyways when I first researched electronic mines and furnaces I converted all my equipment to that but then I had all the burner versions laying around in a chest still. I noticed that there was a logistic robot trash slots. Turned out it's more like a logistic pickup instead of an actual trash can. (maybe this is already thought of but...) I'm wanting a way to completely remove the outdated equipment from the game. I tried dropping them on the ground to see if they're despawn but hours later I came back and still there. I don't know if there is an item limit like in other games but I also don't like storing them the whole game or cluttering up the map.

I seen a recycle mod but I was trying to beat the vanilla game before using mods.

tetryon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: An Actual Trash Can

Post by tetryon »

Griffon0129 wrote:I'm new to the forums and the game, I've finished the Tutorials and about got the ship into space, just have to build all the parts. Anyways when I first researched electronic mines and furnaces I converted all my equipment to that but then I had all the burner versions laying around in a chest still. I noticed that there was a logistic robot trash slots. Turned out it's more like a logistic pickup instead of an actual trash can. (maybe this is already thought of but...) I'm wanting a way to completely remove the outdated equipment from the game. I tried dropping them on the ground to see if they're despawn but hours later I came back and still there. I don't know if there is an item limit like in other games but I also don't like storing them the whole game or cluttering up the map.

I seen a recycle mod but I was trying to beat the vanilla game before using mods.
There are no weekly garbage pickups on an alien planet =)

Step 1: Place items into a chest.
Step 2: Shoot chest.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

tetryon wrote: There are no weekly garbage pickups on an alien planet =)

Step 1: Place items into a chest.
Step 2: Shoot chest.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!
never thought about actually destroying the chest lol, I guess that'll work

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

Picking up that idea, it would be nice to have a waste slot in the inventory. when you place an item there it stays there for safety reasons so you can drag it back if you change your mind. but if you place another item on top, the first one will vanish, be lost forever and replaced by the new item.
It would be a simple solution that would find space beneath the logistics slot.

DailyFrankPeter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DailyFrankPeter »

+1

Bourbon20147
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bourbon20147 »

I'm agree wery much with this

Hakusho
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hakusho »

While i agree that there should be some way to ultimately get rid of stuff besides let it rot in a chest or let the chest sit in a place forever and call it a "junk chest" i don't want any item to just disappear.
I would rather like the option for an disassembling machine that can burn the stuff for a small energy value (similar to small posts) or can disassemble it and make ore or plates or whatever out of it.
In that way you could put a requester chest that requests "trash items" and puts it into the disassembling machine.

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

Hakusho wrote:While i agree that there should be some way to ultimately get rid of stuff besides let it rot in a chest or let the chest sit in a place forever and call it a "junk chest" i don't want any item to just disappear.
I would rather like the option for an disassembling machine that can burn the stuff for a small energy value (similar to small posts) or can disassemble it and make ore or plates or whatever out of it.
In that way you could put a requester chest that requests "trash items" and puts it into the disassembling machine.
How would that work? Would you define what resources are given back when disassembled? Or would you say something like: Give back 20% of the resources needed to make the item. If so, what if there is multiple recepies to get said item? For instance imagine making A -> B or C+D -> B. If reversable you could turn C+D -> A or A -> C+D, which doesn't make logical sense. What about objects that require liquids? Would your disassembler have 7 different ports for all the liquids? And even if so, what if a mod adds new fluids and gases?
What about abusing it and make materials from nothing by using productivity modules. Currently there is a limitation to not be able to use those on intermediate products for that very reason. If you disassemble finished products, made with productivity modules, they become essentially those intermediate products. Having 200% productivity is not too cheaty, because you're stuck with what you get. If you turn half of it back into resources then you get materials for free.

I agree that recycling is a good idea, but that's an entirely different concept that needs it's own discussion. An actual trash slot is not a bad idea, IMO. Even if it's wasteful, it's still better than stuffing all your rubbish into a chest and blow it up.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

FalcoGer wrote: How would that work? Would you define what resources are given back when disassembled? Or would you say something like: Give back 20% of the resources needed to make the item. If so, what if there is multiple recepies to get said item? For instance imagine making A -> B or C+D -> B. If reversable you could turn C+D -> A or A -> C+D, which doesn't make logical sense. What about objects that require liquids? Would your disassembler have 7 different ports for all the liquids? And even if so, what if a mod adds new fluids and gases?
What about abusing it and make materials from nothing by using productivity modules. Currently there is a limitation to not be able to use those on intermediate products for that very reason. If you disassemble finished products, made with productivity modules, they become essentially those intermediate products. Having 200% productivity is not too cheaty, because you're stuck with what you get. If you turn half of it back into resources then you get materials for free.

I agree that recycling is a good idea, but that's an entirely different concept that needs it's own discussion. An actual trash slot is not a bad idea, IMO. Even if it's wasteful, it's still better than stuffing all your rubbish into a chest and blow it up.
The cost of items is a bit weird right now. Waste/Scrap is missing. Every high technology item has a lot of inputs that seemingly go nowhere.

I'd approach this coming from reality. As long as there is no Waste/Scrap implemented I'd assume that everything except things that vaporize or burn is still inside the item. So 100% of everything that doesn't burn can be reclaimed. Burning an item in a furnace would give equivalent copper/iron ore and stone. No liquids, no oil/wood/plastics.

How to handle different recipies? They all need to be based off the same copper/iron/stone values - or produce equivalent scrap.

Efficiency module? Expunge it from the game - it makes no sense.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I added a new list: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21278 Recycling/Disassembling of Waste / Scrap / Trash
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

joran
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by joran »

I made a mod viewtopic.php?f=93&t=24119 that is an actual trashcan

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”