Texture Subsampling

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Elusive92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Texture Subsampling

Post by Elusive92 »

I would like to suggest texture subsampling (and possibly mip-mapping) for rendering. It would greatly improve how well bitmaps appear during scaling and translation. This would get rid of all non-integer scaling artifacts like flickering or jitter (especially noticeable when looking at Transport Belts) and, in turn, allow for smooth zooming and undistorted sprites. I have no idea how the graphics pipeline for this game is set up, but this is pretty much free with common graphics hardware, making the performance impact negligible.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Texture Subsampling

Post by keyboardhack »

It was supported before but was removed again.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14613&p=98820&hilit ... ing#p98820
Version 0.12.3 wrote:
  • Multisampling not officially supported from now on.
Read here why https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-98
Waste of bytes : P

Elusive92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elusive92 »

That is very unfortunate. I do not see how tiling should interfere with this, but kinks in the graphics pipeline can always lead to weird bugs. I hope this gets resolved someday. Those artifacts drive me nuts.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Elusive92 wrote:That is very unfortunate. I do not see how tiling should interfere with this, but kinks in the graphics pipeline can always lead to weird bugs. I hope this gets resolved someday. Those artifacts drive me nuts.
It wasn't removed, it just isn't supported right now. You can still enable it by changing the multisampling-level setting in the config.ini file.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Elusive92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elusive92 »

daniel34 wrote:You can still enable it by changing the multisampling-level setting in the config.ini file.
Thanks! I'll try that. It would be great for it to be supported again at some point.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”