Contributions to "Loader" idea

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Zeerow101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Contributions to "Loader" idea

Post by Zeerow101 »

Hello everyone! I recently saw an idea a Dev had in a steam news section regarding a new item dubbed "Loader" (added link to op in comment). I heard that and thought it might be 'op' but after some thinking I thought it'd be a handy thing for very late game. Not sure if they're planning for it to require power.
I have a couple ideas to contribute to the item:
1. New research node: "Logistics 4" or something of the like.
- It seems these loaders will be pretty much instant transfer from belt to inventory, so they should either be in a tier of their own and expensive research, or expensive to make (i.e., Red/Blue Circuits + Express Transport Belt + Lubricant + Smart Inserters)... just a rough idea.
2. A more Factorio-like texture and animation.
- I kinda thought up the idea of making the loader looking like it was "dumping" the belt contents into a box. Prepare for terrible art that hopefully gets the idea across.
loader concept.png
loader concept.png (82.99 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Obviously I'm not trying to contribute an actual texture but the idea of one. One where the belt looks raised and above the box. I have no idea how hard that'd be to implement texture-wise or how it'd be rotatable. Also it would be awesome if there was an "open box" sprite for something like this.
Again I don't know how hard it would be to do something like:
If Loader is pointing to box
Set box sprite = box_open

Again I'd hope the texture would be made to look gritty and techie looking like the rest of the art.
I also think this kind of tech can spawn its own smart/long, or even underground versions.

Well thanks for reading. Feel free to let me know if this is a viable idea or not. If it is go ahead and add to it or think about the pros/cons of an item with animations like this.

Edit: I guess I didn't think about it but their would either have to be a neutral loading/unloading kind of sprite, or possibly 2 different items i.e Loader and Unloader with separate sprites. Might make the "Dumping into box" look invalid.
Last edited by Zeerow101 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Contributions to "Loader" idea

Post by ssilk »

The same FFF blog-post: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-128

The (overwhelming) response: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20847 Friday Facts #128 - Back down to earth

I think this theme is quite controversy, cause everybody has it's own idea of how he wants to play with it. Btw: This is mine:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20847&start=130#p131185
On page 14. Nothing more to be said. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”