Add item to define train pathfinding penalty for a railway

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
o6dukeleto
Inserter
Inserter

Add item to define train pathfinding penalty for a railway

Post by o6dukeleto » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:57 am

The item added could be another type signal, or a sign that goes beside the rail track. Possibly a "slow" sign which indicates to the train pathfinding that this track should have a penalty when being evaluated.

The new item could be clickable and a "penalty" could be entered by the user.

This would be a fairly simple way to affect the existing train pathfinding as it already dynamically calculates penalties for some things (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... lty#p63247)

This new item could also be ignored if the complexity is not required, similar to signals and chain signals.

This would allow users to do such things as:

Example 1: A siding to a mainline that trains will never path through, just add the new item with a very large penalty. (The example siding may/may not have a station with trains that stop frequently/infrequently.)

Example 2: A central unloading hub with 3 parallel stations with the same name. Normally the trains will prioritize the shortest path which may not be the path closest to your factory, but with judicial use of penalties you could make it prioritize the path closest to your factory. (possibly so your robots have shorter paths?)

There are probably more examples as well and this new item would allow us to affect train pathfinding -- if we wanted it.

BTW, I created this suggestion based upon some great feedback on another suggestion I made (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=20037) I feel that this suggestion is probably simpler and allows for more options in affecting train pathfinding, the new item could also be ignored if the complexity is not required -- therefore adding complexity only for those who want it.

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Add item to define train pathfinding penalty for a railway

Post by Khaylain » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:07 pm

I support this. A track control Signal with a variable pathfinding penalty, able to be placed like a Train Signal or Train Chain Signal.
Maybe it needs the condition that for it to work it needs a Train Signal or Train Chain Signal in front and behind it. Would be really useful for a turnaround station for loading iron/copper/coal which you don't want trains NOT inbound to the station to use. This would make the other trains take a longer route to another turnaround, and may help avoid some deadlocks/slowdown.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:08 pm

Meanwhile there is a list: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21899 Control Train Pathfinder (Passthru stations, Add Penalty)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:14 am

That list is exactly where I found the link to this. As far as I have understood the premise of this forum it was better to use the single-item/-idea threads rather than the list-threads.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:06 am

Yes, you did nothing wrong. :)

I mentioned it no only for you, but for others, that want to answer to your post and didn't make a search. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”