Rail Expansion

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Eruannon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rail Expansion

Post by Eruannon »

Greetings
I'd like to ask your opinions about small expansion of rails :

As standard rail signals are heaavily based on TTD, I'd like to ask of viability of cration of some sort of 'chained' signals? [therein called 'pre signals'] i.e. signals of 3 varieties:
- exit signals [working basically same as current ones]
- enter signals [gets red if all exit signals that are further down the line are 'red', and only then]
- hybrid signals [basically both enter and exit signals in one, allowing to 'propagate' status further down the line].
This would also provide nice signals for 'advanced signalling' tech or something along the line.

Second idea would be multi [or chained] stations [even with 'advanced station construction' or something along the lines] that would allow 2 or more parallel lines with train stops at same 'position' and orientation to be considered 'single station' for trains when going to same waypoint to chose randomly between those lines or if one of these positions is occupied by station, they would move to the other 'platform', of course that would quite possibly imply spread of 4 positions between stops themselves to allow for both inserters and 2 'tracks' of transport belts for maximum efficiency;

[I.e. ---- transport belt | ===== Railtrack | X - stop | III - inserters or other 1 block hardware]

----------
XIIIIIIIIII
=======
IIIIIIIIIIII
----------
that would compose single [as example] platform [therefore smallest 'in line' for 2 platforms would be -X=I--X=I-] giving spread of 4 tiles between stops]

I'd love to know the viability of such ideas if possible [implementation wise].
Thank you for any feedback.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rail Expansion

Post by ssilk »

#1: I don't find the post yet, but the devs would like to have presignals. But currently not, and I would mean also not really needed yet.

#2: please don't mix stations and stops. We have currently train stops only. It's just a point, where the train stops. :)

I haven't approved this, but every train stop has a name. If you give another station the same name, the train chooses that, which is free/more near.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Eruannon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eruannon »

Truth be said 'stop' can act practically as station; idea is to 'link' stops to share name and reference; simple as that :)

As per #1 - good to know.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

ssilk wrote:I haven't approved this, but every train stop has a name. If you give another station the same name, the train chooses that, which is free/more near.
Ah ?
I though if you have 2 stations, say "StA and StB", and you open StA to rename it to StB, then StB would automatically be renamed StA or something ..
Am I mistaken ?

Hazard
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hazard »

Nirahiel wrote:
ssilk wrote:I haven't approved this, but every train stop has a name. If you give another station the same name, the train chooses that, which is free/more near.
Ah ?
I though if you have 2 stations, say "StA and StB", and you open StA to rename it to StB, then StB would automatically be renamed StA or something ..
Am I mistaken ?
Nope, that doesn't happen. You just get 2 counts of Station B, with the train pathing to either.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I rewrite currently the railway network page.
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ay_network

The problem is to find well understandable concepts.
Any help/suggestion/rewrite etc. is welcome. :)
Either here or on the discussion-page in the wiki...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”