Long-range bots alternative

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Long-range bots alternative

Post by malokin »

yeah i posted alot of ideas rapid fire, simply because placing train tracks makes me want to cry, but I really like your crash landing idea.
We need to pin down this long distance logistical challenge thing. We are brainstorming a better factorio tomorrow.
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

malokin wrote:yeah i posted alot of ideas rapid fire, simply because placing train tracks makes me want to cry.
I have plans for improvements other than just blueprints.

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malokin »

You tease.
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 3LollipopZ »

Oh God, I hope it's just one type of track :)

Can you make the car pull a trailer or two? :)

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malokin »

I was really hoping they would just double the length of the train tracks, that way diagonal track placing looks so freaking weird. But if they did that youd have less precision when placing tracks that join/split/cross/whatever.

As for hauling a trailer, maybe there is a compromise: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ino#p13862
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

One idea I always had was some sort of automated vehicle network.

Example:
Trucks would have AI drivers and could be given a schedule like trains are. The "stations" would be depots and would have parking bays the trucks would park to load/unload. While the AI would have some path-finding abilities, you could place some sort of beacon, guide-stone or way-point to indicate the preferred route you would like them to take (to avoid them driving through your base and hassling you and if they're too dumb to avoid enemy bases, that, as well).

Some advantages I foresee over trains: Not as much planning needed, no laying of tracks. No collisions, the trucks will drive around each other.

Cons: Higher cost than trains. Maybe not very high but with a more complex solution comes a higher price in resources (if they balance it how I think they would).

Thinking about it more, the implementation would be simple apart from the AI drivers. You could place a stop instead of a depot, which could be anywhere, add your inserters how you want (just like making a station) and there you go.

I would see AI vehicles as a natural extension to the robot network.

But now I am rambling so I'll stop ;)

I also think the staff are buzzing with their own ideas to show us ;)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”