Wooden buildings / structures

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MajorMiner
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Wooden buildings / structures

Post by MajorMiner »

I feel like the use of wood as a building material hasn't been explored enough in the vanilla game. I'd like to see more buildable wooden things (walls, floors, fences), maybe built with rudimentary rivets made of sheared sheet metal? Anyone else agree?

ProphetofEden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Wooden buildings / structures

Post by ProphetofEden »

ive noticed i always have so much extra wood after clearing out building areas and nothing to do with it, wooden buildings or even wooden floors would be amazing to just give us something to actually use it.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

ProphetofEden wrote:ive noticed i always have so much extra wood after clearing out building areas and nothing to do with it, wooden buildings or even wooden floors would be amazing to just give us something to actually use it.
Which then gets replaced by concrete or steel anyway.

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cbrx »

I think wood in Vanilla Factorio is way too useless.
I have played multiple games in Vanilla and almost always found wood an annoying thing that stands in the way. - The trees it comes from at least.

I don't think using wood as a material for buildings or structures is a good idea, since those will later on be replaced by stone, iron or any other better material. However, I honestly think the way certain mods handle this, that wood is used as a basic ingredient for building circuits (Yes, it does not really makes sense but it makes wood way better integrated in the game) or Resin is an awesome approach to go.

Optionally, I also like the approach of Yaoki and Treehouse mods that allow to "generate" wood at a quite arbitrary rate and process it into useful fuel. Though for balance purposes, treehouses should probably a bit more expensive. I would say the effort of mining coal or growing trees for fueling boilers is pretty much equal though.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

not to mention it's quite common to start in a desert and just not have enough wood available to do much building with it.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood#Uses for idea.

We can already combust wood.

Why not convert it into other useful products though wood gasification? It'll give you all kind of atmospheric gases like methane, hydrogen, carbon dioxide.

OR you could convert wood into Methanol, which is used for all sort of chemical products.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”