Lategame Colonizing *Modified*

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mileaos2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Lategame Colonizing *Modified*

Post by Mileaos2 »

After saving the colonists from space, this part starts.
you get new buildings for the colonists.
you have to build citys and ofc provide them with ressources (water, energy and consumer goods [Consumer goods refer to food, electronics, batteries, everything a modern human need ^^ ])
when all needs are satesfyed, the population grow, even civilisation levels for new tecs and buldings would be awesome.
new technologies for you colony, where you need certain amounts of colonists.
the aliens should be wilder and even more agressive, the more ppl live on the planet. and attack with more and more force / amount
it should be possible to recruit soldiers from the colonists. (foodsoldiers, tanks, all kinds of military units, to fight the alines)

Okay, thats how i imagin this:
colony buildings are buildings extra for human colonists, the normal full automated buildings stay the same. everything i explain now should be new, additional buildings!
the central building for the colonie is the so called Central Resource Hub (CRH in short from now on)
the CRH distributes the resources to all colonist buildings via roads.
all those buildings need to be connected to the CRH via roads.
Roads contain wires for energy and pipes for water/wase water.
The colonists have to pick up there Consumer goods by themselve.
The CRH has storage for a certain amount of water and consumer goods, which can be increased via upgrades.
Energy has to be provided to the CRH like all other buildings.
The CRH provied resources only to residential Buildings.
Colony production buildings (CPB) need to be provided with materials and energy like every other "normal" produktion building.
The CPB need additional to the normal energy and material inputs a road, so the colonists can get there.
examples for Colony Production Buildings (CPB´s):
All CPB´s work more or less like the normal counterparts, but always need personnel.
They should be quite big buildings, which are quite expensive but way more efficient.
They need less energy. But they should produce way more products per production cycle.
Research Center: Needs less energy and research kits like the automated ones, but need a good amount of colonists to work there. but they are needed for special Colony research. (but they can eprform normal research aswell)
Ore Refinery
Oil Refinery
Factory
Chemikal Plant
and so on

Sammikins
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Lategame Colonizing *Modified*

Post by Sammikins »

I have a similar idea. I'd like to add my own ideas to add on top of this.

col·o·nize

ˈkäləˌnīz
send a group of settlers to (a place) and establish political control over it.

Mid/Late Game Colonizing and Factions
Quick Description, tl;dr
Attract settlers using a beacon or radio tower. The settlers will colonize the planet, establishing homes, farms, currency, and government. The government system is basic, can be expanded later. Local governement is handled through a "Colonist Satisfaction" rating; external Governements are established when settlers leave the protection of your base/factory and build their own settlement away from your control; this establishes factions. You can demoralize satellite colonies by destroying them; or you can take it over. If you let colonies grow, they will develop their own government and, in turn, their own faction. You can trade with them and/or help protect them to increase your factions affinity, or you can raid them to plunder their supplies; but be careful, if you make them too angry, they may retaliate. Satellite colonies that are out of your control can research on their own. You can plunder their physical goods, but you cannot take their research.

The colonists can buy resources off of you to produce their own goods. You can tax colonists within your control; overtaxing them may encourage them to build a colony of their own. Colonists can be conscripted into an army and armed to help protect your factory/colony, and to attack enemy bases (Both Indigenous and Colony bases).

Overview
  • (New craftables) - Incl. Ingredients
  • (New Item) Tar - (Ingredients) Refined from either Coal or Oil - (Purpose) New Intermediate Ingredient.
  • (New Item) Basic Road - (Ingredients) Rock - (Purposes) While on the road, Grants 1.5x run speed increase, and 1.2x vehicle speed increase.
  • (New Item) Advanced Road (or highway) - (Ingredients) Concrete, Tar - (Purpose) While on the road, No run speed increase, Grants 2x vehicle speed increase.
  • (New Building) Radio Tower OR (Modify Current Building) Beacon - (Ingredients) Same As Beacon - (Purpose) Broadcast a signal to attract nearby space travelers.
  • (New Building) Basic Colony Housing - (Ingredients) Wood, Concrete - (Purpose) Provide living space for new colonists.
  • (New Building) Advanced Colony Housing - (Ingredients) Wood, Concrete - (Purpose) Continue to provide housing, adds efficiency bonus to colonists - Provides.
  • (New Building) Multistory Building - (Ingredients) Concrete, Steel - (Purpose) Provides vastly improved colonists housing, with a much lower efficiency bonus than advanced housing.
  • (New Building) Small Farm - (Ingredients) Variable*(see below) - (Purpose) Produces food required to feed colonists.
  • (Module) Hydroponics - (Ingredients) Plastic, Iron - (Purpose) Gives food production equal to a small farm, but doesn't take up real estate.
  • Additional Research
    ----->(Research) Basic Colonizing, (REQUIRED, Logistics II, Military 2)
    ---------->(Unlocks) Basic Road
    ---------->(Unlocks) Basic Colony Housing
    ----->(Research)Basic Colonizing 2
    ---------->(Unlocks) Advanced Roads
    ---------->(Unlocks) Advanced Colony Housing
    ---------->(Unlocks) Basic Farm
    ----->(Research)Advanced Colonizing 1
    ---------->(Unlocks) Multistory Building
    ----->(Research)Advanced Colonizing 2
    ---------->(Unlocks) Hydroponics

Variable Farm Ingredient Cost
Farm placed with 1 farm adjacent = 6 Iron for fencing
Farm placed with 2 farms adjacent = 4 Iron for fencing
Farm placed with 3 farms adjacent = 2 Iron for fencing
Farm placed with 4 farms adjacent = Free

Under-Developed Ideas
  • Add bridges to expand the road infrastructure.
  • Colony Housing provides storage space, you can steal items from colonists housing, but this might encourage them to leave (or attack you?).
  • In Multiplayer, each player is their own faction. They can either compete or work together.
  • Affinity Levels - Ranging from -100,000 to +100,000. WIthin this range will determine enemy or ally, with levels every +10,000 or +20,000 points. At -10,000, they will continue to trade, but their prices will be very high. At -20,000, they consider you an enemy).
  • Harvesting Meat from dead alien creatures in lieu of farming.
  • Each NPC Colonists is a unique NPC (similar to "Cities Skylines"), and makes choices on their own (instead of acting solely based on their faction).
  • NPC Affinity and Faction Affinity are calculated to make "Actual Affinity" - and this will determine how each individual NPC reacts to you.
  • Colonist mining, perhaps you can allow or prohibit it. Prohibiting monopolizes resources, and earns you more money, but the lack of allowing colonist mining, may encourage them to move away. Allowing colonist mining will take business away from you, but can make them happier.
  • Procedural Generated Colonist Names.
  • Procedural Generated Colony Names.
Afterthoughts
I realize this may be a conglomerate of ideas. But it is my intention to present a well-developed overarching system rather than a bunch of small changes. I'm calling the NPC Actors "Colonists". I'm sure this idea will develop more in my head as I ponder. Maybe instead of a "Small Farm", hinting that there are different size farms, we can just call it "Farm". I hope this is the first of many contributions :D :D :D

Edit: Ok, I've been writing this for hours. I'll edit and add to it later. But for now, it may give you something to thing about.

Zellius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Human Colony

Post by Zellius »

Well, i have an ideia that can make the game have more sense. I see some saying that the history of the game is strange. Fall in a strange planet and the planet have oxygen and living things and rich in minerals is very unlikely, but you still have to build another spaceship to get out instead of just repair the existing one and build an entire factory just to go away!.....

Why don't adapt this and increment the game at same time? How? Simple, change the objective to build a human colony!

You don't need to change soo much things to this to work, think that you are going with some settlers to this planet and well you come the accident happens and the spaceship fall. Basically the same start, jut let the ship in the spawn with some people. For questions of IA they will not need to do nothing, just run when attacked. They don't build or carry nothing, YOU are the engineer, they are just settlers. And you now just have to build a colony and build another spaceship to get out and/or send some settlers back to confirm the success of mission! Basically the same game, just tell it in a different way!

Just it? No! Now you can explore the idea!

You can add resources like clay to build red bricks, something more week and aesthetically better to build houses where people will protect themselves. Think in more things aesthetic, things that don't affect the production but it can affect the settlers! Settlers can reproduce (like if they had a house they will produce another settler, maybe in a hour of game) and the aesthetic thing make them happier to reproduce.
They only walk randomly and run to their houses at this point, but maybe they can work, not in factory but in farms! Plant and cut new trees, plant food (that can be used like a coin to pay them to work), plant herbs to make medicines for you to heal and to cure them (they can be sick if the pollution level where they live is too high). Maybe they can carry things if you pay, transport the plants they grow or some like this (like the logistic robots but used in the beginning of the game), you can add a new wagon for people to transport them too! //Trains are something cool!

This is just to make the ideia work well, but with time and learn it can grow fast! Imagine better IA's, soldiers trained, scouts, people work in more things like plants (things that is "strange" to be made in machines), a social system and even a revolt! There is a lot of possibilities after this!

what do you think?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Topics merged because siumilar topic.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Again such a topic, which is disjunct, because everybody has another idea about it. Which is not bad.

Factorio goes here nearly always the way of enabling the users to do all ways.

But here I have currently no idea, of how to combine all the suggestions around colonizing.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Splitframe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Splitframe »

I talked about the narrative of Factorio with a friend recently.
For me, a game how ever sandboxy it may be, needs at least an token effort as a narrative and I really
liked the factorio idea of you preparing the world for others to come.

Like I thought someone else also had the idea to add a colonization after the current goal of shooting
satellites into orbit. So I'll just post my ideas here.

So for starters I think the whole colonization thing should/could be an DLC or addon because it does/should add
a heap of new buildings, features and concepts.

As of now the structures in factorio are very closed.
The growing of food could happen on crops that are in reach of a harvester building.
Certain goods may need to kept under a specific temperature.
People transit.
Maybe even something along the lines of colony health/satisfaction,
though it would drift a little in the direction of Anno/Cities: Skylines concept wise.

In my opinion it would make for a great turning point in the narrative of the game.
When the normal automation of research and getting the people here is complete it could
shift a little to what these people need, of course all automated and in big factories.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”