Clearer visual indicators of activity

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Clearer visual indicators of activity

Post by obstinate »

It's very easy to tell whether a mine, boiler, furnace, or steam engine is active. It's less easy to tell if an assembling machine is active, especially if detailed info is turned on. It would be nice if we could have, say, a little green light on the front of assemblers that are active. This would be useful in balancing production lines, especially in mods that require very large ones, like Marathon mod. Thank you for considering my suggestion.

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Clearer visual indicators of activity

Post by obstinate »

I think, on further examination, that this can be done with a mod. I'll see about creating it, and then we'll see if people like using it.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

+1, I think this belongs in the vanilla game. You can see whether assemblers and especially chemical plants are working, but it is really hard to tell without zooming in.

If a specific indicator light is added, maybe it should be added to the info layer that shows the recipe? You can either add a gauge that shows % of maximum capacity in the past minute or so, or add the progress bar for the current item under the recipe icon?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 589#p84589 ON/OFF Button on buildings.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 792#p54206 Showing up/see/visualize modules in assemblies... (further down)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Post by obstinate »

Is it possible to draw to the info layer from a mod? I could easily write this mod if so.

cchhiipp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

indicator lights on assemblers

Post by cchhiipp »

merged threads, same topic
-- daniel34

TL;DR: Green, yellow, red lights on assemblers indicating their status - producing, waiting on output, waiting on input

This would be a quality of life addition to be able to get an overview of your different production areas by glancing at the assemblers, without having to click individually on them.

Green light - Assembler is running non-stop. It has a supply of ingredients and free space in its output slot.
Yellow light - Assembler is not running because its output slot is full.
Red light - Assembler is not running because it is lacking one or more ingredients.

With this addition, you could get a quick sense of entire sections of your factory at a glance in real time.

Lallante
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lallante »

A very obvious "activity" light in the same place on every 3x3 building (red yellow green with yellow as waiting for ingredients and green as active) would be a huge quality of life change.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

This could even be part of the 'alt' extra info, if it is too difficult to integrate in the normal graphics: have the background colour of the recipe icon change according to activity.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: indicator lights on assemblers

Post by Ghoulish »

cchhiipp wrote:merged threads, same topic
-- daniel34

TL;DR: Green, yellow, red lights on assemblers indicating their status - producing, waiting on output, waiting on input

This would be a quality of life addition to be able to get an overview of your different production areas by glancing at the assemblers, without having to click individually on them.

Green light - Assembler is running non-stop. It has a supply of ingredients and free space in its output slot.
Yellow light - Assembler is not running because its output slot is full.
Red light - Assembler is not running because it is lacking one or more ingredients.

With this addition, you could get a quick sense of entire sections of your factory at a glance in real time.
Maybe a blue light if a power issue?
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: indicator lights on assemblers

Post by ssilk »

Ghoulish wrote:Maybe a blue light if a power issue?
How about black light?

SCNR
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”