Smart inserters react to blueprint construction

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ccik
Inserter
Inserter

Smart inserters react to blueprint construction

Post by ccik »

Hello,

i don't know if this was suggested before, but i could not find it in the forums.

I use an engineering train for my outpost construction. It has everything i could possibly need for outpost, like defenses, belts, miners, smelters, assembly machines, everything. But this led me to the following hassle.
Everytime i want to build a new outpost, i pull up the engineering train, set up Roboports, and some provider chests, and unload the train. Then, build the outposts with blueprints. But, depending on the type of outpost, one of the items runs out, i have to send the train back to get refilled. Here is the issue. I have to load all of the materials still at the outpost back into the train, send it back to the main base, and then unload the full train again. If i don't do this step, i end up with a lot of items at the outpost that i don't need. I can get around this issue with smart inserters and filters, but honestly, this is not worth the hassle. Blueprinting the providers and inserters with filters is not an option because of different requirements for each outpost.

I'm suggesting a new option for the smart inserter: "Unload only materials needed by construction robots". With this setting, an enabled smart inserter would check if there are any materials needed by construcion robots, and if this is the case, set it's filter to the item missing. If this item is no longer needed by the construction robots, then the filter would autoclear itself.

With this option, i could just pull up with the engineering train, stamp down the providers and inserters, and start building. If i need more materials, just send the train back to the main base, and it returns full. No (or at least only a couple of materials, depending on inserter stack size bonus) unneeded items would be unloaded, and it would save the hassle of manually controlling the unloading/loading of my engineering train.

I consider this issue something in the lines of "nice to have, but not really necessary or game-breaking".

What do you all think? Would this enhance gameplay and outpost building, is it unnecessary, or has anybody of you found an easy solution to deal with this problem?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Smart inserters react to blueprint construction

Post by ssilk »

You may take a look into this discussion: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=13200
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”