Hunger

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Do you agree?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 19

jacob021302
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Hunger

Post by jacob021302 »

First of all, I know this suggestion has been made before but I think I can bring something new to it.

Hunger would just be an extra challenge to game, and it could possibly be turned off when you generate a world. It would not be a huge game changer, you could ignore you hunger for awhile. Although you could ignore you might not want to, having full hunger could bring good things while have low hunger could not.

Here is what I think hunger could do:
Above or at 95% Hunger - 5% speed bonus and 5% crafting speed bonus
Above or at 80% Hunger - 3%speed bonus
Below or at 55% Hunger - 2% speed slow-down
Below or at 45% Hunger - Don't regenerate health
Below or at 35% Hunger - 10% speed slow-down
Below or at 25% Hunger - Lose health every 30 seconds and 15% speed slow-down
Below or at 20% Hunger - Lose health every 20 seconds
Below or at 10% Hunger - Lose health every 10 seconds and 35% speed slow-down

Hunger would also bring agriculture, with brings cool plants and even cooler machines.

I hope you agree that hunger would be a great addition, thanks for reading.
Last edited by jacob021302 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hunger

Post by bobucles »

Hunger as a mechanic where you build up a massive industry, but are the only living thing that needs food? It doesn't really work well. Just like how oxygen survival doesn't work well. All it does is set up a death clock until the player can rush the necessary survival tech. After reaching that level, automation takes care of the rest and it becomes trivial.

Survivor mechanics do not work for factorio. Factorio is designed so that players grow their factory in order to solve problems. It is not made to provide a constant hunter-gatherer struggle against the elements.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I added this to https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 80&t=14638 Producing food / Herbalism / Health

Besides that it doesn't make sense to make a poll about it. I explained it several times in this board.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jacob021302
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jacob021302 »

bobucles wrote:Hunger as a mechanic where you build up a massive industry, but are the only living thing that needs food? It doesn't really work well. Just like how oxygen survival doesn't work well. All it does is set up a death clock until the player can rush the necessary survival tech. After reaching that level, automation takes care of the rest and it becomes trivial.

Survivor mechanics do not work for factorio. Factorio is designed so that players grow their factory in order to solve problems. It is not made to provide a constant hunter-gatherer struggle against the elements.
Good point.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Food makes in my eyes only sense with introducing "others". Might be colonists or - much more interesting - native lifeforms.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

bobucles wrote:Survivor mechanics do not work for factorio. Factorio is designed so that players grow their factory in order to solve problems. It is not made to provide a constant hunter-gatherer struggle against the elements.
I agree. Survival games can be a lot of fun, e.g. 7 Days to Die, and I've pondered adding surival-game mechanics mods to Skyrim (cold/exposure and thirst/hunger/sleep ones) simply to encourage myself from having my character adopt a more realistic behavioral pattern, but those elements don't fit Factorio.

The need for food or oxygen, or hydration, will simply be a hurdle that the player needs to overcome once, by building and powering the required building, and after that it can be forgotten about, as the player has his character go back to this building or building cluster, at regular intervals, to recharge the different survival meters.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, No thanks...
Hunger is one of the elements that I don't think will fit this game. I play Life is Feudal sometimes, hunger fits there, hunger is only used as a health/stamina recharge buffer, so if you don't eat ,you're usually good for a long time if you're not doing much. But I don't think it fits here.

Food that heals you when you use it would work, but a general hunger bar... nah.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”