ScenarioS : last thing needed to go on steam ?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Are you agree with that ?

yes
25%
no
67%
other
8%

Total votes: 12

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

ScenarioS : last thing needed to go on steam ?

Post by fregate84 »

Hello,
I know you want to go to steam, but I think it’s not a go idea to go to steam right now without more scenarios. Let me explain why.
On beginning, people will buy the game and test it. When they will finish the game (lunch the rocket), they will not have any things else to do than free game. But lots of people don’t like freegame. they need to have goal to achieved.

So you should (MUST) create more scenarios before going on steam. For me, some scenarios shouldn’t be hard to create. For example,
- Scenario without water. So only power from sun. Just need to unlock some techtree & give more equipment on the beginning.
- Scenario where the goal it to deliver to a cargo a big quantity of object (iron plate or electronic)
- Scenario with a BIG long map and unlimited resources. goal to transport resources (iron, …) to a cargo with a long distance from cargo to resources. Train track can be in place on begening (on way only)
- Scenario on limited map, and goal is to kill all enemy.
- …

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: ScenarioS : last thing needed to go on steam ?

Post by tobsimon »

For me, it was very different.
For the first game, I played the first campaign map and was surprised by the sudden end. I was hooked and wanted more.
For the second game, I started a freeplay map and barely got science pack 2 before a stated a new game.
Every game since then, I build bigger and bigger layouts, but never once have I reached the goal. The path is the goal.

But I agree, that well crafted scenarios are a ton of fun and a valuable addition to the basic game. But they are not necessary.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Scenarios are a nice addition, but I don't think at all they are necessary.
I think of games like SimCity (I played mostly SC2K and SC3K), which are in a way pretty similar to Factorio - a sandbox building and balancing game, with no goal except for do more and do it better (or satisfy your own aesthetic persuasions). Although those games come with scenarios, I have almost never played them, and although I have spent many hours playing SimCity, almost all of it was in the Sandbox (aka default) mode.

The same goes for Civilization games - although they aren't as similar to Factorio, they also come with scenarios, but I rarely play them, and I don't think I would have missed them if they were gone.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think with games like this I usually play the scenario once through, then stick to skirmish/open maps.

More would be better though. but there is the scenario pack, I've tried some of those before and they are interesting.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

tobsimon wrote:For me, it was very different.
For the first game, I played the first campaign map and was surprised by the sudden end. I was hooked and wanted more.
For the second game, I started a freeplay map and barely got science pack 2 before a stated a new game.
Every game since then, I build bigger and bigger layouts, but never once have I reached the goal. The path is the goal.

But I agree, that well crafted scenarios are a ton of fun and a valuable addition to the basic game. But they are not necessary.
Exactly what I would say.

I would like to add something though- I recently went back to look at my first playthough...I now feel silly. I felt like 4 labs were enough.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

If you want to improve your odds of successful launch, you should perform some task analysis on players that never played the game. Have them sit in front of the game and just instruct them to do what they want with the game. Interview them as they explore the first hour or two of the game, how they perceive the story, the game modes, map modes, the interface, etc. Ask what goals and achievements they set up for themselves and how they feel when they wither reach them or fail horribly. Record the session; preferrably capturing both the screen and the facial expression of the player. You will gain so much insight from just a handful of players. Just make sure they're varied bunch, and not just your friends or existing players.

JangoBunBun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JangoBunBun »

Personally, I want to see the end game fleshed out more before we get extra Scenarios. Yes, the scenarios are cool, and fun to play. But I feel the main attraction is the free play, and I'm sure the developers feel the same way. I am not saying I disagree, though. I like the scenarios, and feel the devs should continue making them, but only after the main mechanics are polished a bit more.

Chimaera
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chimaera »

I recently started playing but didn't get past no 4 and i had problems with 3 as well
So now im just playing custom maps

Here is the detail feedback i gave on no 3
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 43#p118943

They need to be reworked to give a better sense of progression imho

And maybe have more but not quite so much thrown at you in one hit as they should guide you through the game, ive still never done oil or anything above as i never got that far.
So im kinda watching youtube vids to try and pick the lost bits of stuff i dont know.

And possibly get some new youtube vids up as they don't seem to match the current builds.

One last thought why not get the community to make the maps/scenarios and save them somehow and the the game devs can use them.
Set out clear goals from the start of what needs to be included and what competencies the player needs to gain and see what happens.

You would think the modders would love to have a level included in the game.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”