Possible Game-Endings and Ethics (Peace or Artillery)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Possible Game-Endings and Ethics (Peace or Artillery)

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I link back to
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 69#p111333
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=16795

We need then automated artillery to be able to handle this.

I suggest it, cause I currently play with a heavily changed Supreme Warfare Mod. The changes are mainly, that the range is extremely wide and the destruction is high. I use therefore the biggest bombs. Which are extremely costly.
They do the job of destroying the biters etc. for me - not very efficient, but with the play time they make a steady progress, that a player can never achieve!

So questionable it is - ethical and from the game-play in an earlier phase - with the current progress of my game this is just fun: I need to suck out every resource-field (I installed also the Endless Miner mod https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=16369 ) and I think I have currently about 1000 miners running.

Still not enough. I want to spread my bread of inserters. :twisted: :)

Well, the artillery gives me the time to do that in a way, that I've never seen before.
And now in combination with increasing the threat of the biters the artillery becomes quite essential, cause otherwise it's not possible to handle them all. They will just overwhelm your factory. You need to attack, otherwise they attack you.

This is the moment, when another thought comes in: I think we can have two possible ends of the game.

Target One
Be more or less peaceful, maybe cooperation with the natives, until you're able to leave the planet. (This has already been done hundred years before. That's why we find everywhere old factories, which we need to repair in the campaign :) ).
When you leave the game with the spaceship, the game ends. Target One is fulfilled.
You build the rocket, build the space-plattform, build the space-ship and then you can escape and leave your factory as it is. When you managed to go home, you can use the game as screensaver and see the further progress (how long will it work without interaction?).

O. K. A little bit boring. :) ;)

Target Two
The other end is this: We play as above but then we can decide, if we want to leave with the spaceship. Here we can say: We like the planet. Clean air. Clean water. Mucho resources. Nice climate. The only thing, that disturbs are the biters etc. But now, because we understand them, we can handle them! This is different to 100 years before!

And this means, there's a new planet for colonization! It's simple: If we don't do it, others will do!

This is an unresolvable conflict: If you don't leave, if you want to stay to settle, you need to kill them; or they do! The natives gain power as you begin to colonize the planet, they begin to be a real thread (as described in the linked topic). All you can do is killing them, before they begin to be a problem.

Why would someone doing that? I mean, we're speaking here from a genocide, a gigantic genocide, nothing can compare with it in the history of mankind. The only reason, that I know is, that otherwise there is a much bigger conflict, which might end in killing the whole mankind. Why not?

One important element of this conflict is then some kind of automated fighting. Ethical a disaster, but (as explained above) the managing of the supply for the artillery this is quite interesting! :) The production needs to change to shells and so on; the orbital platform can play an important role here. The spaceship is needed to bring the colonists, while you ensure their survive with the artillery.

Well, this is it. More thoughts:
- There are of course much more ideas about artillery. I will not link it now.
- One of that is to have also "artillery on rails". :)
- We need a device, that is able to scan such big areas. Another type of radar, but I think more to explorer drones. They scan the area like a Roomba and can reveal 10.000 tiles diameter from one base.
- When we have scanned a target the long-range artillery needs to change into the direction. (We can build more or less intelligent computers with the combinators, to optimize this movement.)
- When the target is destroyed, there is not everything dead. Some biters and spitters still run around. Some worms survived. So we need also automated fighter robots to kill the remaining rest.
Last edited by ssilk on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: I changed the thread-title first to fix a typo, but then to match the topic better.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Arillery for the final game (and possble endings)

Post by TuckJohn »

why not have multible victory conditions?
Also, I really like the idea of explorer drones. perhaps they could have an infinite range, but just would take a lot longer to travel to chunks further and further away. They would have to have some sort of AI that allows them to avoid destruction via biters. I think it would be cool though to see hundreds of updating tiles across the map of exploration robots going to and fro to explore the regions previously unexplored. (I am assuming that the single chunk that they would be in would be in it's "live" view on the map.) I also imagine that if you had enough explorer robots the frequency of them coming to and fro from your main base would almost double as having a radar in the center.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

*raises hand*
Orbit-to-surface weapons?
Just a thought.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Exactly. I don't wanted to be so direct.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

deepdriller wrote:*raises hand*
Orbit-to-surface weapons?
Just a thought.
Heh. I had fun coming up with a setup for that a while ago. Was a orbital railgun, which you had to haul, via rocket, massive projectiles into orbit, then use a remote to call them down on a targeted area as powerful artillery shells.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I see that space-platform as the next option after the "normal" artillery. I mean "normal artillery" as some kind of bigger turret, standing on ground, needs ammunition and systematically destroys enemies in range. It's a late game (before space platform) thing. The "platform artillery" can go over a much bigger range. In all cases they need something, which cleans up the area, cause there are some survivers .

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

ssilk wrote:I see that space-platform as the next option after the "normal" artillery. I mean "normal artillery" as some kind of bigger turret, standing on ground, needs ammunition and systematically destroys enemies in range. It's a late game (before space platform) thing. The "platform artillery" can go over a much bigger range. In all cases they need something, which cleans up the area, cause there are some survivers .
I would like that. It would make for some interesting turret creep stratagies for bases.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Think to player vs. player games. Such a kind of weapon cries for an direct fight hit from the other player. Strategies like in Supreme Commander are only possible with such kind of weapon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”