Incorporate story in load screen

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Incorporate story in load screen

Post by Kayser »

I understand that the "Loading sprites..." is kind of a statement in itself, but it only makes sense to players who know what a sprite is. I assume that when we go to Steam we also want to target and make a cool first impression on players that don't know what a sprite is, so here we go...

I suggest that the strings shown while the game is loading are replaced with strings that are related to the game story. For example:

0-20% "Fuelling descender rockets..."
20-40% "Checking parachute..."
40-60% "Boarding..."
60-80% "Undocking..."
80-100% "Descending..."
Last edited by Kayser on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Incorporate story in load screen

Post by LordFedora »

Or use the current messages... Just reworded so they sound cooler

Like "recovering Databanks" for loading mods "initializing optical processor" for sprites etc

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

More flavor! I like it :)

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

i thought there was 4 stages, but there is only 3 so i'll just come up with one for sounds "Running auditory diagnostics..."

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

If we really need/want to know what's going on in the background, I suggest that info is put somewhere else on the screen (and only as long as we're in alpha).

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

LordFedora wrote:Or use the current messages... Just reworded so they sound cooler

Like "recovering Databanks" for loading mods "initializing optical processor" for sprites etc
I like this one better then the first post, as I imagine that the devs would like the have some idea (and I do to) of what is happening when and for how long(in a rough sense, of course)
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

TuckJohn wrote:
LordFedora wrote:Or use the current messages... Just reworded so they sound cooler

I like this one better then the first post, as I imagine that the devs would like the have some idea (and I do to) of what is happening when and for how long(in a rough sense, of course)
A part of me wants to know what's going on, too. I admit that. But I'm not writing suggestions for myself to enjoy. I'm instead trying to make suggestions that will improve the impression on a wider audience going forward. The wider the audience we can make a great impression on, the more of a commercial success the game will be. The better the game sells, the better the chances that the game will be continued to be developed and expanded upon long term. In my book, not satisfying the (imagined) need of the technically interested, mature player to know what the game is loading in a given moment is a small sacrifice if there is the slightest risk of making an unpolished, off beat impression on any new player. It's all about upping their initial eei so they don't churn within the first hour of play.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Kayser wrote:
TuckJohn wrote:

A part of me wants to know what's going on, too. I admit that. But I'm not writing suggestions for myself to enjoy. I'm instead trying to make suggestions that will improve the impression on a wider audience going forward. The wider the audience we can make a great impression on, the more of a commercial success the game will be. The better the game sells, the better the chances that the game will be continued to be developed and expanded upon long term. In my book, not satisfying the (imagined) need of the technically interested, mature player to know what the game is loading in a given moment is a small sacrifice if there is the slightest risk of making an unpolished, off beat impression on any new player. It's all about upping their initial eei so they don't churn within the first hour of play.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Also, nice eei reference. perhaps that will become a thing amongst the gaming world :D
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

On the loading screen I would like to see how my last base has been evolving through the time. Something like timelapse.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

hitzu wrote:On the loading screen I would like to see how my last base has been evolving through the time. Something like timelapse.
Like... the loading screen showing screenshots of the map, perhaps recorded by autosave when it hits?
Could be nice, though the pictures would have to be pruned by the system to a max of 10 or so at a time, I think. And have them taken at severely reduced quality to prevent consuming too much space.
Still, though. It'd be a nice touch, for sure.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”