Quick Blueprint of just 1 item

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Quick Blueprint of just 1 item

Post by lancar »

Right... First off, I admit I didn't even look if this was suggested or not (hey, at least I'm upfront about it! ;) )

Reading up on the recent crafting speed hoopla it occurred to me that there's a function to the blueprint system I really, really want.
The ability to place a building or entity as a blueprint ghost right away without having to make an actual, y'know, blueprint item first.

So, how about when we open the crafting window we could middleclick whatever and that would exit inventory and put a ghost of that building in the hand to place?

Would be nice, right? Not having to go through all the hassle of finding that exact building you want already placed somewhere, make a blueprint to copy just that one thing, and then head back to where you actually wanted to place it.
Instead you just find it in the crafting menu, middleclick and BAM! plop it down whereever and the factory construction network does the rest. No need to carry a zillion blueprints with only 1 lamp, 1 assembler or 1 power pole, etc around.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Quick Blueprint of just 1 item

Post by prg »

Just shift+click while holding an item.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

But what if i don't have one, nor the materials in inventory to craft it?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

lancar wrote:But what if i don't have one, nor the materials in inventory to craft it?
Request it and wait.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

FishSandwich wrote:Request it and wait.
And then watch bots snatch it from your hand. I think its a great idea. Clicking item you cant make could turn it into a blueprint.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

oLaudix wrote:
And then watch bots snatch it from your hand. I think its a great idea. Clicking item you cant make could turn it into a blueprint.
That is exactly why I dont like using personal roboports.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

oLaudix wrote:
Then the feature request is to prevent robots taking your last item, which I'm pretty sure has been suggested already and is in the works.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think the sugestion is valid. it's also not original (been sugested before)

Why do I need to be holding a solar panel item to tell construction robots to build one? i should just be able to click a button to open an item list, click on one placing a ghost item in your hand, then place it on the terrain where I want it built.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

bobingabout wrote:I think the sugestion is valid. it's also not original (been sugested before)

Why do I need to be holding a solar panel item to tell construction robots to build one? i should just be able to click a button to open an item list, click on one placing a ghost item in your hand, then place it on the terrain where I want it built.
Thank you.

Exactly this. There is no reason why you should actually have to have a building in your possession in order to make the network build something for you.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”