Neon colored pipes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Neon colored pipes

Post by dinodod »

If possible, could the pipes / belts have an option to be color colored using NEON colors? It would help see them and be able to organize things a bit better.

Thanks

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Neon colored pipes

Post by ssilk »

I've some questions:

- what is a neon-color in Factorio? On earth, neon colors are colors, that gleam in ultra-violet light. Which are not in your computer monitor. Give an example.
- change all pipes/belts to neon colors?
- or change only some lines, some pipes?
- should pipes have different colors? Or parts of belts?
- you know when you place a straight pipe it has a window where you see the color of the fluid? Why is that not enough?
- what is the problem to see the pipes/belts?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dinodod »

http://i.imgur.com/XgHmr4N.png

It just helps show how things are connected easier for me. It helps when you have a ton of underground pipes / belts zigzagging all over the map.

Maybe not NEON but nice bright colors like the above image are nice to look at. Pastel colors??? LOL...

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I don't think that this should be in the vanilla game, but I think that it would make an interesting mod.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

ssilk wrote:you know when you place a straight pipe it has a window where you see the color of the fluid? Why is that not enough?
This feature could be extended so that the whole pipe changes its color depending on the contents.
I think neon colors (by which I mean bright colors) are a little bit overkill, but a decent coloring of the pipe will help alot.

This would also be (easily?) moddable by replacing the pipe entity with a coloured pipe entity when the contents change.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

My response would be.... Learn to see the big picture... or learn to use the extra information overlay.

If you want to colour code your pipes for planning purposes, then fair enough, this could be useful, but my first point stands, learn to see it in your head, as you would when placing belts.

if I want to see what is in a pipe, oh look, not only do the windows placed every X pipes show me the colour of the fluid, but there's also an icon placed over the pipes every so often showing me what fluid is in there by the icon.
daniel34 wrote:This would also be (easily?) moddable by replacing the pipe entity with a coloured pipe entity when the contents change.
As it stands, for an entity to show the fluid inside (or any alternate graphic based on the fluid) it needs to be a window pipe. Currently I'm fairly sure window pipes are hardcoded to not only apear every X tiles, but also specifically on a stright pipe.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think it is useful to have this, because it is easier to explain how a factory is working. Screenshots are more clear. I think this is very useful, because it means also, to change other things in that way. But I would say it is just another layer, not always visible.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:I think it is useful to have this, because it is easier to explain how a factory is working. Screenshots are more clear. I think this is very useful, because it means also, to change other things in that way. But I would say it is just another layer, not always visible.
like another F4 debug overlay option (if that happens I also want one for the circuit network)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The idea of the forum till now is to have more informational layers than only pressing the ALT-key. If via debug is another question.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”