Production info improvements

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Production info improvements

Post by ssilk »

I looked a while into the production info screen.

The informations a player can take out here are disappointing, compared to electric network info.

As I understood it, every consumption and production triggers one event. The events are counted and compressed so that they can be displayed as graphs.

Display
- instead of lines bars should be shown. Reason: only whole items can be produced/consumed.
- need to select two or more item-types, only display them. Because of the bars, the item with the lesser integrated production/consumption should be drawn into front.
- 10 seconds is useless. Could begin with a minute.
- the view can be splitted left 10 minutes, right 1 minute. More useful information.

Measurement
This is complicated to explain, it's a technique used for big websites to measure the flow of users from page to page. But practically very easy to implement.

In short this works so: a belt needs in total 3 iron plates ( https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... sport_belt ). Currently it's production triggers the following events:
- 3 consumption and 3 production events for iron ore -> iron plate - in total 6
- 2 consumption and 1 production for iron plate -> wheel - in total 3
- 2 consumption and 1 production for iron plates+wheels -> belt - in total 3

Now what we don't know is, how many iron plates are used in total,when I only look at the consumption of the belt I see only 1 iron plate. But indeed it used 3!!

But that's the interesting stuff! How many iron plates are used to produce belts? Including the wheels, which are also needed for the belts. To measure that, for every receipt, which needs something, that contains iron plates, another event should be triggered. I mean the summed amount (total need) of resources to produce a higher item.

The following extra events can be triggered:
- the belt production triggers "total raw consumption of 3 iron plates for basic belt", "integrated raw consumption of one wheel for basic inserter"
- for the iron-plate and wheel production don't trigger extra events

They are triggered as "total raw consumption". Now you can directly compare: you produce 1000 plates per minute and 100 per minute are consumed for belts. You know: 10% of production of iron plates is for belts only. Before that you couldn't compare that, because you hadn't the data.

Now we do that also for every combination, so that every item can be compared with any other item. Or items. This is not so much events, as you might think. Handleable. Best example is smart inserter, which then triggers - hm:
- 1 fast inserter directly
- 4 circuits directly
And in total for smart inserter
- 12 iron plates
- 10.5 copper plates
And integrated
- 1 fast inserter (as above?)
- 4 circuits (ditto?)
- 1 basic inserter
- 7 circuits
- 1 wheel
(Hope I calculated right. Btw.this list would be interesting for every item)

So in the end I would like to compare the left side/production with the consumption for the selected items.

User story: I select one item type and it shows on production and consumption side all products used to create that. Now I can sub-select for example only iron plates, only wheels...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”