Highlight ore type on map-function

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Highlight ore type on map-function

Post by Peter34 »

The in-game map isn't super good. Often I'm unsure if I'm overlooking deposits of ores. Usually Stone, or perhaps ore types added by mods (such as the Fluorite or Uraninite from the Uranium Power mod). Or I'm concerned about Crude Oil patches that I've overlooked.

For this reason, I'd like the option to choose any one resource type to highlight, on the map, the big "M" key map, not the minimap, so that all deposits of it becomes highlighted in a bright white colour until I tell the game to stop highlighting.

That way, it's super quick and easy to see what's within my territory and what isn't. It also helps with difficult-to-tell-apart ores, for instance Iron Ore and Stone sometimes look a bit alike, in the map interface. This resolves that problem.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Highlight ore type on map-function

Post by Marconos »

+1 great idea that would really seem to enhance late game gameplay.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I think this highlightning function is not so important (cause that is especially for non-vanilla game). Instead it is more important to see, if there is ANY resource of a type anywhere. Background: Do you need to give up or is it useful to continue, and when, into which direction?

I suggest some "device", which knows where the ore is. It doesn't need to be highlighted on the map, cause the ore could also be outside of the map.

I want more something like the Resource Monitor Mod ( https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 20&t=13809 ), which selects me automatically resource-fields, which are near together to one "resource patch".

Stage one: Let me scan the visible area. Shows me the direction and distance and amount of all found patches. This is just this suggestion, but I think you don't need the map for this. Or the map-functionality is a special research.

Stage two: Scan much bigger area outside of current radar-range (can take a while), shows distance, direction and estimated size (in area and amount) of patch. Maybe it is not very reliable, you need to scan several times. Maybe you need explosives or special vehicles for the measurement.

Stage three: Functionality like the Resource Monitor: Shows each patch, that is currently harvested, the remaining amount and items/min.
Last edited by ssilk on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the list of stages
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I would love a feature/item to allow me to see more ores. Perhaps even research to upgrade the detail levels on the minimap?
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

ssilk wrote:Hm. I think this highlightning function is not so important (cause that is especially for non-vanilla game).
No. Even in the vanilla game, it's useful to be able to highlight small patches of Stone, that one has overlooked, as well as more clearly highlight unexploited Oil Wells. And sometimes telling the difference between a patch of Iron Ore and a patch of Stone is difficult.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I haven't said, that it isn't useful, it's included into stage one. But it's not available without research, because it isn't that important.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Silden
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Silden »

I do like the idea of having a toggle button that when pressed highlights the given resource, this would be especially helpful for the small pockets, as I can sometimes miss those, especially when two different resources are close by or if I have infrastructure over a resource.

How about a key on the map to show what the various icon(s) represent, and let that same key toggle the highlighting of the resource?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”