Update the Tips & Tricks graphics

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Update the Tips & Tricks graphics

Post by Peter34 »

I've had "Show Tips & Tricks" disabled since November 2014, but after just having deleted and re-installed the game (trying to remove 2 strange bugs), I decided to re-enable it, to see if there are any new tricks added in the last 10 months.

I never got that far, though. Because it turns out the Tips & Tricks screenhots are using the old graphics, e.g. for Copper Plate and for Wood. And for the player character too. That's just offputting. And it's an added potential confusion factor for easily confused new players.

So I really think those need to be updated!

Another thing, related to the above, is that there should be a "Back" or "Previous" button, in the Tips & Tricks interface, so that it's possible to move backwards through them. Like for instance if I see a Tip that at first looks boring and then I move the mouse cursor to click "Next", but then a few ms after I decide to do that, I realize that no, the currently shown Tip actually wasn't what I assumed it was about and so I do want to read it, but it's too late, by then the click on "Next" has already happened".

But the only way to get "back" to that tip is to click on "Next" until it re-appears. So there should be a "Previous" button so it's possible to move in both directions.

As it is now, the window also disappears when you click "Next" after the last tip. That's ungood. Instead, it should scroll back to the first tip, and furthermore there should be two numbers, somewhere in that interface, one displaying the number of the current tip and one displaying the total number of tips, for instnace 8/14, showing that you're viewing tip #8 out of a total of 18.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Update the Tips & Tricks graphics

Post by Vin »

This is actually something that really should be done before the steam release, in my opinion. Tips and tricks are something a lot of new players are going to see and use. Especially if they've never seen the game before, the old icons may actually be confusing because nothing in the game uses them.

Quizer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quizer »

Vin wrote:This is actually something that really should be done before the steam release, in my opinion. Tips and tricks are something a lot of new players are going to see and use. Especially if they've never seen the game before, the old icons may actually be confusing because nothing in the game uses them.
Agreed. This is a necessary step towards presenting a polished and professional-looking product, just like eliminating typos and grammatical mistakes in text. These old graphics still being in the tips and tricks makes it look like you (the devs) just couldn't be bothered. That kind of thing makes the perceived quality of your product take a nosedive, and is to be avoided at all costs.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

This should definitely be done before Factorio goes onto steam, along with updating the campaign graphics.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”