Constructor

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Constructor

Post by irbork »

With vanilla inventory size and logistic slots noumber, personal roboports are not very useful for automatic outpost construction.
There should be additional vehicle that will act as mobile roboport with mechanics as follows:
- 2x more requester slots than player has
- 2x bigger storage than player has
- acting as passive provider for construction robots inside vehicle only

This way you can go and build your outpost, do a drive by in your logistic network to refill used entities and go construct another outpost. All this without constant player inventory overflow.

happymoep
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Constructor

Post by happymoep »

Why don't you use trains to build your outpost?
Usually I want to connet my outposts to my main rail system anyway so I just build the rails first, load up a train using my personal requester slots, jump in and drive the train to my destination.
When you're there you can either use your personal roboport and just grab the items from the inventory or just place a normal roboport, drop some provider chests to unload the train and you're done.

Don't get me wrong:
I still like the idea of some kind of transport vehicle with a larger inventory, I just wouldn't add logistic slots to it.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

The simple solution:
Allow the personal roboport to access items from the vehicle you're driving. They can already deploy when you're sitting in a car, so this isn't much of a stretch I feel.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

How big are you outposts you are setting up? Using just my personal inventory I can setup a 300 miner outpost with 12 lane balancer filling a 6 car train. including the loading stations and the rail line offshoot. All of this out of my inventory and include modules for the miners. (15 - 30 minutes to setup one of these).

How big are the ones you are looking to build?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

My 2 cents: This is a the wrong question: "I play like so, I can live with it, what are you doing wrong, that you cannot use this?"

If you set up an outpost with walls for example, then you run soon out of stacks. If you then use also extensively blueprints (a quarter of my inventory is full with it), then you don't have much space left.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

codewarrior
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by codewarrior »

All I want is a car with a built-in roboport and generator.

Like ssilk, I run around with a lot of blueprints and use them to build outposts. On top of that, I also fill up a car (or train) with outpost materials and drive it out to the outpost. I tried building everything with personal bots, but I always run out of power before the outpost is completed. Instead of using the personal 'ports, I just bring along a few roboports and 300 bots, then unload the car into some red chests and build everything from the ad-hoc logistics network at that outpost.

(I don't just build walls. I build an entire motte-and-bailey fortification with eight layers of transport belts, two layers of walls, and a solid row of laser turrets. Those 300 bots are busy for quite a while.)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think it would be a good idea to have the ability to let bots take stuff directly out of vehicles (tank, car, wagons). It dunno, if this should be permanent or temporary, but why should the bots from the personal roboport cannot take that? It would be as taking from a logistic chest.

But for a whole setup of a gigantic outpost I think the preparation is a problem, cause you need to produce the whole stuff long before can use it. Long before is the problem here in my eyes, cause you cannot plan so exact, that you take exactly the needed amounts with you, you need much more (2 times, 3 times more, to be prepared). And you take a lot of time to wait, until this is produced.

We had there a discussion about a faster way of distribution exactly for construction purposes https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=13200
which I want to point to in this context. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”