Context-dependent music

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Context-dependent music

Post by Kayser »

I really like the recent updates to the music and the direction this is heading in. It would be even more awsome, however, if it was context-dependent; meaning that it would change depending on what was happeing in the game. Imaginge getting in the car and the music changes to something fast-paced, like you would play on a highway drive.

Or, what if the music would change to a threatening drum-track as biters approached. Putting on some fierce violins to accompany the sound of your machine gun in the midst of battle.

I did a quick search on this but couldn't fint it had been suggested anywhere before.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Context-dependent music

Post by lancar »

The reason you didn't find it is because it has already been confirmed as something the devs want, and was moved to that subforum.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 68&t=14162

Rejoice! This will happen, sooner or later :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I like the idea of context-dependent music, in theory, but in practice in games it often triggers way too often, even for extremely easy battles. I seem to recall that way back in Morrowind, the "super-exciting dramatic battle"-music would trigger even if my high-level character encountered a single aggressive rat (called a "fetcher" in Morrowind).

It'd be much preferable, in modern games, if dramatic battle music only triggers when the player encounters enemies that are, according to the game's internal threat evaluation algorithm, at least somewhat dangerous to him (i.e. have a chance of causing serious harm).

Skyrim has, IIRC, special musc playing when the player fights dragons. That's nice the very first few times, but eventually you reach a point where dragons are just a way to gather more dragon souls to empower yourself further.

For Factorio, I think it'd be nice if there was a special battle music for extre-dramatic battles, that plays a limited number of times, e.g. the first two times the player every encounters Medium Biters, the first three times the player encounters Large Biters and the first four time the player encounters Behemoth Biters. That's only 9 times per game, but that's what makes it special, indicating that now, in this particular on-going game, a new and higher level of threat has been encountered.

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

Of course, if it should be done, it should be done well. Like, according to a threat index or something.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Kayser wrote:Of course, if it should be done, it should be done well. Like, according to a threat index or something.
I don't think I'm aware of any game, possibly ignoring games that rely heavily on scripting as opposed to world simulation, where it is done well.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”