Chest in end game

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
Post Reply
User avatar
Arkansas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 am
Contact:

Chest in end game

Post by Arkansas » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:34 am

I've a suggestion for end game storing solution, did you know about automatic storing solutions used actualy in big factories, this system use bots wich go take the right thing in the right place and come back with it to a designated place. Thinking about the game, can be set up a logistic network and a drop place for that network where the bots can drop the requested item. Check the pics for what im talking about. I think this logistic system should be tall to give more taller aspet to the game (think about a huge and tall storing tower, then place one near the other with automatic bots going around and moving stuff, maybe assigning an area to a specific type of items). I will submit some drawing too when i have some time. Tell me what are you thinking about.

magazzino_automatico_678.jpg
magazzino_automatico_678.jpg (140.58 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
magazzini.jpg
magazzini.jpg (142.02 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
ARKANSAS

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by Boogieman14 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:49 am

And how exactly is this different from what we already have in the form of logistics robots and logistics chests?
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

User avatar
Arkansas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by Arkansas » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:17 am

Boogieman14 wrote:And how exactly is this different from what we already have in the form of logistics robots and logistics chests?
In first place is different on the store space you have, not only a chest but a tower of chest (maybe 3/4 ) and then you will have not flying bots everywhere but landbots following a pre defined way, actually you have the chest wich are not FOR ME in a real factorio style (wich factory has chest inside ??). Otherwise this storage system should be improved when you need more space to store a lot of surplus production, another idea is to create different storage type for raw material like copper,iron, coal and stone in form of pile of (iron, copper,stone,coal), maybe a covered deposit with an high capacity. For example, the new concrete tile is made of stone, iron and water, but for making concrete powder you need a HUGE rotating oven (like 100 metres long in real life) wich should be supplied with cracked stone and iron(wich define a particular type of concrete in reality called ferroconcrete wich is a different type of concrete), now imagine to have this huge oven supplied by a chest system or supplied by a bigger pile of iron and stone using transport belts, i like more the second one. Now imagine to have a big factory that produces mechanical parts, for me its more immersive having a storage system like the one i've described at the top then a chest with a automatic arm, the auto arm still good, but I dont like the chest so much. In y opinion chest are good for early game time when you have to take manually things around.
ARKANSAS

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10467
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by ssilk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:34 am

In my eyes is what you really mean is a cargo-box or boxing system - basically an item, that is able to store the content of one stack of items inside.

See for example https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =94&t=7481
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

User avatar
Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:47 am
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by Krayt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:15 pm

The idea of a a big industrial storage depot is good in my opinion. It would have the advantage that you wouldn't need lots of the yellow long term storage chests, but one 3x3 or 4x4 building to store everything. Transport "inside" would be fully automatized. It would require energy on the on hand, but all other aspects taken into consideration need less space to store more items for use in the logistical system.
It could have several outputs and inputs whereas the output speed could be enhanced with speed modules,
Furthermore several storage units of this kind could be connected modularly to have an even bigger storage space in one piece.
You could go to a terminal and order items directly from the storage depot into your inventory without the need of robots in the process. Or vehicles like tanks, buggys and trains could be filled even faster using a special building directly connected to the storage depot.

It would be really cool and a lot different from the cargo box system ssilk mentioned.

Kind regards,
Krayt

User avatar
Arkansas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by Arkansas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:43 am

Krayt wrote:The idea of a a big industrial storage depot is good in my opinion. It would have the advantage that you wouldn't need lots of the yellow long term storage chests, but one 3x3 or 4x4 building to store everything. Transport "inside" would be fully automatized. It would require energy on the on hand, but all other aspects taken into consideration need less space to store more items for use in the logistical system.
It could have several outputs and inputs whereas the output speed could be enhanced with speed modules,
Furthermore several storage units of this kind could be connected modularly to have an even bigger storage space in one piece.
You could go to a terminal and order items directly from the storage depot into your inventory without the need of robots in the process. Or vehicles like tanks, buggys and trains could be filled even faster using a special building directly connected to the storage depot.

It would be really cool and a lot different from the cargo box system ssilk mentioned.

Kind regards,
Krayt
This is exactly what i mean! :D
ARKANSAS

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10467
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by ssilk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:57 pm

So, when I understand it right, this "chest" is 4x4 and inside more or less "endless" sized?

What happens if I put something in it, and what if I want to take it out again? And how?
What happens, if this is destroyed? Or if I want to move it? How long does it take to put 1000 items in it/out of it?
And half a dozen of more such questions about the edge cases...

How are this chests "connected" together and what distincts it from being just a teleporter (which is a dead end, that has already been discussed, that teleporting items are a bad game value).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

User avatar
TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by TuckJohn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:39 pm

I think that something similar can be accomplished with the ability to add filters to storage logistics chests, like what you can do in train cargo wagons.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

User avatar
Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Chest in end game

Post by Kewlhotrod » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:16 pm

ssilk wrote:So, when I understand it right, this "chest" is 4x4 and inside more or less "endless" sized?

What happens if I put something in it, and what if I want to take it out again? And how?
What happens, if this is destroyed? Or if I want to move it? How long does it take to put 1000 items in it/out of it?
And half a dozen of more such questions about the edge cases...

How are this chests "connected" together and what distincts it from being just a teleporter (which is a dead end, that has already been discussed, that teleporting items are a bad game value).
this, although I like the idea.. because late game its pretty much an incredibly large sea of yellow storage containers to horde all the products I made. It sounds like a great idea but gameplay wise it probably wouldn't work well, auto sorting on long term storage would be nice though instead of requesters and steel chests.

Post Reply

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users