Filter Settable Roboport Material Slots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Filter Settable Roboport Material Slots

Post by vampiricdust »

The idea is basically that I would love being able to have roboports act as a distribution center by filling it with commonly needed goods other than repair packs that may be useful to have on hand closer to where they are need in the case of destruction or construction.

The change would be make the material slots act like cagro wagon slots with a default configuration of repair packs. Not only will this give us control over how many stacks of repair packs are put in a roboport, but can also be used to have turrets, ammo, and power poles ready to be placed if stock via a requester. This really makes roboports more than just range extender with excessive repair pack storage. They could also hold mines for replacements of fields.

Yes, we could use a provider chest, but the problem of using a requester to make the items local also means that the provider will get drained to fill the requester. The roboport on the other hand does not fill requests, but does let construction bots use them. If this functionality is expanded to any item that would be useful to keep near by, it would really open roboports up to more depth of usage.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Filter Settable Roboport Material Slots

Post by TuckJohn »

I am confused; are you suggesting to more or less add item slots into roboports, and items placed in these slots will be evenly distributed to other roboports are reserved for cargo bots?
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

TuckJohn wrote:I am confused; are you suggesting to more or less add item slots into roboports, and items placed in these slots will be evenly distributed to other roboports are reserved for cargo bots?
No, not really adding or removing slots. The repair slots on roboports are hardcoded to be repair packs only as far as I can tell. I am suggesting to change them from hardcoded to be repair packs to make them inventory that we could set as other stuff. They behave exactly as they do now, but for more than just repair packs.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

If you want logistics storage, use one of the yellow storage chests. You can even put it right next to the roboport!
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

No... that's not the same thing. If you put a requester chest down & use an inserter to feed that storage chest, items from the chest will be taken to fill the requester & bots will just endlessly move stuff back & forth. The point of the change is have some items held in a nearby roboport which won't get removed by logistic bots.

x.x this has nothing to do with storage. This is about having items distributed so that they are closer to where they are needed.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

core goal seems to be getting materials close to the place where they will be needed in large bases available for bots but without creating the loop that extracting out of the requester chest does.

simplest would be let the (new) requester also provide for higher priority stuff (non-providing requester, repairs and building)

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

If I understood correctly the idea is to be able to set items to be ignored by logistic bots(black ones) and used by construction bots(yellow ones). The objective: To manage how items are distributed throughout your base.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”