Modular tools/power tool(s)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

What do you think of the idea?

Yeah. I want this added to the vanilla game.
57%
Yeah. I want this to be made into a mod.
No votes
Meh. Good idea, but it needs refinement.
29%
No. No. No. No way. This sucks.
14%

Total votes: 7

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Modular tools/power tool(s)

Post by TuckJohn »

So after completing the game, I realized that to remove all of the cool buildings that I had placed with a simple steel axe, while I had force fields surrounding me, and two fusion reactors strapped to my chest. Why?
I suggest the addition of power tools. Possibly even modular. It would be a nice addition to the game as it would add another "tech level" above the steel axe. The tool(s) could work with the modular armor with power creation and consumption, but it could also be on its own power grid.
What are your opinions?
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Modular tools/power tool(s)

Post by deepdriller »

You're looking for the F mod, I believe.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45
But yes, I think that should be added to vanilla. The axe limitation is just so tedious and unnecessary.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

deepdriller wrote:You're looking for the F mod, I believe.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45
But yes, I think that should be added to vanilla. The axe limitation is just so tedious and unnecessary.
First of all, that is not updated to 0.12, and secondly, I would like this to be added to vanilla. Thanks for the link though.

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

This is a good suggestion, TuckJohn. But I think one step in between ordinary Iron or Steel Axes is needed. An upgrade right to a modular tool fitting to Powersuits is a too huge step.
I would suggest an Electric Mining Drill at first. Maybe if the game changed to the diversification of areas in which a particular tool can be used (Like in Minecraft Pickaxe, Axe, ...) a Chainsaw could be added - for those nasty trees and "local inhabitants". These two tools are inspired by the Minecraft Mod "Industrial Craft²".

So as power tools I would suggest a universal (laser) beam tool. You could add modules for battery power, building range, deconstruction range and deconstruction speed.

Do you have any thoughts about the right power tools to add, yet?

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Krayt wrote:This is a good suggestion, TuckJohn. But I think one step in between ordinary Iron or Steel Axes is needed. An upgrade right to a modular tool fitting to Powersuits is a too huge step.
I would suggest an Electric Mining Drill at first. Maybe if the game changed to the diversification of areas in which a particular tool can be used (Like in Minecraft Pickaxe, Axe, ...) a Chainsaw could be added - for those nasty trees and "local inhabitants". These two tools are inspired by the Minecraft Mod "Industrial Craft²".

So as power tools I would suggest a universal (laser) beam tool. You could add modules for battery power, building range, deconstruction range and deconstruction speed.

Do you have any thoughts about the right power tools to add, yet?
I was thinking the same thing about an additional step between steel and modular. Perhaps the progression tree could go like hand>iron axe>steel axe>electric drill>laser drill>basic modular tool>advanced modular tool. Alternatively, items 4+5 could be combined into "modular laser drill" and the following item could be "modular plasma drill". ...>electric drill>modular laser drill>modular plasma drill

I had also thought about having a separate tools for machines/trees/ore/etc. and figured that it would just add another later of complicity that you have to manage that is not really needed. I like that you only need one tool to do everything in factorio.

I was thinking about the same things for the moduls, but also a power generation component(s).

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

The idea of a progression from Laser to Plasma Drills is good. A progression like in XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
There should be a difference between a mining drill powered by fuel and one powered by electricity. In the first you would have to insert some kind of fuel via right clicking, the latter would require either energy armor to charge or some kind of charging station.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

If I'm going to be removing more than one or two objects, I just use the deconstruction planner and let my personal bots take care of it.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Krayt wrote:The idea of a progression from Laser to Plasma Drills is good. A progression like in XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
There should be a difference between a mining drill powered by fuel and one powered by electricity. In the first you would have to insert some kind of fuel via right clicking, the latter would require either energy armor to charge or some kind of charging station.
(I actually got the idea for the plasma from the game xenonaughts, basically a remake of xcom)
I agree with the fuel consumption...but what would the incentive be to 'upgrade'? Faster mining speed? A mining tool that consumes fuel doesn't sound like the coolest thing in the world.(from a gameplay perspective. I like the idea as a concept)

Krayt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krayt »

TuckJohn wrote: [...]
I agree with the fuel consumption...but what would the incentive be to 'upgrade'? Faster mining speed? A mining tool that consumes fuel doesn't sound like the coolest thing in the world.(from a gameplay perspective. I like the idea as a concept)
As I proposed a wider building and deconstruction range would be an incentive.

Also to comment on Tinyboss' comment:

Well and what do you do if you are building a satellite base or factory out of the ground with no electricity to feed your roboports available, yet?
Probably not everyone wants to setup energy and a roboport before starting to build.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”