Exclusion Chests / Inserters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Exclusion Chests / Inserters

Post by Marconos »

Simple Concept (not sure how easy to implement).

A simple setting on inserter to move all items BUT what is specified.
A chest setting to request all items EXCEPT what is specified.

Areas where this can be used greatly is in remote outposts where you want to unload all the "extra" stuff in the train but leave the raw resources or in unloading areas where you want chests to "clean out" the extra stuff but leave the proper items to process. You can then have a sorter train come in, pick up the foreign stuff and take to a proper sorting facility.

It's a niche feature but when you have large sprawling bases it would be a really really nice to have feature. It's almost like a trash receptacle to get rid of things you don't want in an area.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Exclusion Chests / Inserters

Post by deepdriller »

What exactly do you mean by: "Extra stuff"?
And exactly because it's a niche feature, I'm sure you can find different ways to solve that issue.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

deepdriller wrote:What exactly do you mean by: "Extra stuff"?
And exactly because it's a niche feature, I'm sure you can find different ways to solve that issue.
You can find other ways but they are horrible.

Example of extra stuff: You have an unloading station that is bot driven. That unloading stations handles iron / copper / coal etc. When a train pulls in it's an iron train and all the items get unloaded. The iron patch happens to run next to a copper, stone , etc and gets some "extra" stuff in it. You don't want those materials in your iron unloading station so you have requestor chest setup to take care of the foreign material and go to a sorting station that handles those materials properly. Using smart inserter don't actually work 100% here as you still have to get rid of that foreign material somewhere. So you either have to smart load (which eventually backs up your mining areas) or you have to smart unload (which backs up your train) or you put in place a 3rd "extra stop" that unloads all foreign items that gives you another stop on your route, delaying main train lines routes and forces some extra sorting areas that have to handle major import lines. ALL of these items are handled much simpler with an exclusion chest.

Another problem item (that makes this even more necessary) is the trash slots on your character. You are doing contruction and tear down a bunch of trees. You put those in your trash slot for the bots to clean out when you get back to base or you have left over construction mats that you just don't want to have on your any more so you put into your trash slot. You walk through your unloading area the bots will take this "extra stuff" out of your character but there is no real place to store it in the train unloading station. How does it get routed? Exlusion chests work PERFECT for this. All non iron ore items get stored in these exlusion chests that go to your sorter train that takes to your main sorting area to route properly.

Definitely great uses especially in larger bases.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Wow, that's VERY niche.
Whenever I have several ore patches bordering, I usually plan the miners so that they don't touch the unwanted stuff.
Also, I still don't see anything here that couldn't be solved witch your standard issue provider/requester chests.
And you DO know you can filter train wagons, right? (with middle click on inventory slots)
Also, objects from your trash slots get stored in storage chests. How is that not what you want?

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

:D Process 30k+ iron and 30k+ copper / minute. YOu don't have time to run around filtering and nit picking it all.

I need automation!!! :D

codewarrior
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by codewarrior »

I'd like to have smart inserters in "blacklist" mode rather than "whitelist" just to fix the occasional goof where iron ore winds up on my iron plate belt.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

codewarrior wrote:I'd like to have smart inserters in "blacklist" mode rather than "whitelist" just to fix the occasional goof where iron ore winds up on my iron plate belt.
The proposed broad-spectrum Requester Chest doesn't make sense to me, but it would be nice to have Smart Inserters in Blacklist mode, yes.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”