Burnouts

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

techno_letsgo
Inserter
Inserter

Burnouts

Post by techno_letsgo »

As you know, your machines at the factory run non stop with no problems. They will do so for days, months, even years! But let's change that.

Burnouts will occur randomly, which the chance will be altered by how advanced the machine is. Lets use inserters for an example.
Coal inserters will inevitably cause a burnout, while smart inserters will almost never burnout.

When a machine burns out, Their health is halved and its no longer operable until you fix it.

Note: Burnouts can occur more often to damaged objects, like turrets.

This idea can coincide with my Maintenance idea, check it here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 80&t=14533
How? Maybe if you don't maintain it, it will burn out.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Burnouts

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

I like the concept but i just cant see it working out. Especially for burner inserters when they are relied upon so much for my base and others.

I run currently 56x14 burner inserters. I know will is about to have over 4.5k running in his base.
Just uow often will this burnout occurr? Why should I take a trip in the train for 6 minutes to arrive at my steam production to run and find the inserters that are broken.

The above is an example of things you should take note of while building your concept. I like the concept idea but I dont think it will work in factorios environment.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

But if you have a logistic network with enough repair-drones the concept is useless. So this will only anoy the early to early-midgame players.

After you have some roboports and an automated repairkit-produktion, this does not matter anymore.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As already said in the linked thread: I don't see the game-value here.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

Same here, I don't see what it adds. Is there any kind of clever designing we can do to reduce or prevent burnouts? Or is it just a neverending series of random "run here, repair that" tasks until we can establish roboport coverage? If it's the latter, then I'm definitely not interested.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Seriously. I mean, in my current games I have enough to do already. I never stand around doing nothing, I'm always improving throughput here, slaughtering biters there...
Giving me MORE to do will simply make me more annoyed with the game.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”