Inventory and toolbelt filters act as request slots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Inventory and toolbelt filters act as request slots

Post by Plop and run »

First, the toolbelt (hotbar) filters. You already can designate a slot specifically to one item type and nothing else can go to that slot, so there is no harm if robots always keep this slot at maximum item stack. For example: if you have a transport belt filter slot in your quickbar, logistic robots should try to fill that slot with 50 transport belts whenever possible.

Second, add the same functionality to the player's inventory: set up filters for specific inventory slots and your logistic robots will fill the slots with the items.

If you are worried that this is a concealed functionality and no one will find it: don't worry. Make this feature researchable and give it a good description.
Black blood of the factory

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inventory and toolbelt filters act as request slots

Post by sillyfly »

How is this different from setting the request on the existing logistic slots?
(Other than the fact that it is not automatically set)

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Wouldn't this undermine the concept of limited request space?

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

better interface: no unnecessary request section, less hassle with searching items when setting up the filter (just middle-click on an existing slot), color coding which items you request and which are just lying in you inventory because they are junk or temporary.
more slots - I never understood the limit of 20 slots. Unlimited number of slots does not make you overpowered in any way, but it lets you focus on the actual gameplay rather than manual inventory filling.
works with existing functionality - filters,
logical - you set up the filter to have a quick access to specific items, so robots just make sure you actually have those items
does not take additional inventory slots - only the filtered ones
Black blood of the factory

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

A few concerns come to mind:

Can you still select how many to request, or does it just try to keep a full stack in that slot? I wouldn't like that, since I always request somewhat less than an even number of stacks, so that if I pick up a few, I don't waste inventory slots.

What if you want to request more than a stack, like with rails, walls, or capsules? If you can select 300 walls from a single slot, what does the color coding in your inventory look like then? Or do you just have to set wall filters on six different slots?

Right now player inventory is sorted, and that would break down if we could set filters there. (Edit: after further thought I think this isn't necessarily true.)
Last edited by Tinyboss on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Unlimited number of slots does not make you overpowered in any way, but it lets you focus on the actual gameplay rather than manual inventory filling.
If you NEED unlimited logistic slots, doesn't that mean you screwed up by not having a base which can supply its needs?

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoeSchmoe »

bobucles wrote:
Unlimited number of slots does not make you overpowered in any way, but it lets you focus on the actual gameplay rather than manual inventory filling.
If you NEED unlimited logistic slots, doesn't that mean you screwed up by not having a base which can supply its needs?
Actually I believe it means the exact opposite. That you have a factory that produces all your needs.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Actually I like this suggestion. I would like, that it works in the same way for trains, tanks, cars etc.
Maybe we can call it "logistic stacks"?

Idea: If you want to use that in an entity (like player or car) you need to put a "logistic stack controller" into the inventory. That item enables you to control 10 stacks as described.

There is a problem then: to make sense we need to be able to switch between "requester" and "active provider". Dunno how to do that. ;) It's not working like here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =87&t=8491
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”