Repair Tower

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
Post Reply
MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:53 pm
Contact:

Repair Tower

Post by MalContentFL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:06 am

An early game item that will repair buildings in a small radius (2-3 tiles maybe?) slowly, using the repair packs in its inventory. It has 2 module slots. It also uses power per n health repaired.

Enigmatica
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by Enigmatica » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:49 am

Interesting idea. Would work well for early game defenses until you get repair bots.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10462
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by ssilk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:31 pm

My vision shows some kind of beam, that rotates into the direction of nearest repair. The area could be a bit bigger, 5-10 tiles radius or so.
I don't know if it is a good idea that they need power.

How interesting would it be to have belts mixed with many different types of ammunition and repair packs. Each tower takes from the belts what's needed. The "right mixture" of the items on the belts can be calculated by circuits.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Repair Tower

Post by johanwanderer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 pm

ssilk wrote:My vision shows some kind of beam, that rotates into the direction of nearest repair. The area could be a bit bigger, 5-10 tiles radius or so.
I don't know if it is a good idea that they need power.

How interesting would it be to have belts mixed with many different types of ammunition and repair packs. Each tower takes from the belts what's needed. The "right mixture" of the items on the belts can be calculated by circuits.
Or we could have radius-limited crawling robots :) Path-find, etc. are already in game (for the biters) so I assume the devs can add a semi-autonomous entity to the play'er force. Come to think about it, we might be able to mod something like this into the current game. I'll have to play around with it to see what is actually possible.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by bobucles » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Turrets and walls can hold up pretty well until logistic drones come into action.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3564
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by orzelek » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:39 pm

bobucles wrote:Turrets and walls can hold up pretty well until logistic drones come into action.
Fire up Natural Evolution and DyTech and take a look :)

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by ratchetfreak » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 pm

orzelek wrote:
bobucles wrote:Turrets and walls can hold up pretty well until logistic drones come into action.
Fire up Natural Evolution and DyTech and take a look :)
if you want to balance out a mod then add something to the mod.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3564
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by orzelek » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:31 pm

ratchetfreak wrote:
orzelek wrote:
bobucles wrote:Turrets and walls can hold up pretty well until logistic drones come into action.
Fire up Natural Evolution and DyTech and take a look :)
if you want to balance out a mod then add something to the mod.
Idea presented here is at least tricky to do in mod properly - at least not to do it in hackish way.
I do hope still that vanilla will get a bit more "interesting" after combat overhaul and repair tower would be useful then :D

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by ratchetfreak » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:38 pm

orzelek wrote: Idea presented here is at least tricky to do in mod properly - at least not to do it in hackish way.
I do hope still that vanilla will get a bit more "interesting" after combat overhaul and repair tower would be useful then :D
then suggest a way to let things get done without the hacks

For example add a filter for find_entities_in_range to include the damage taken to find all damaged buildings

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10462
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by ssilk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:32 pm

johanwanderer wrote: Or we could have radius-limited crawling robots :) Path-find, etc. are already in game (for the biters) so I assume the devs can add a semi-autonomous entity to the play'er force. Come to think about it, we might be able to mod something like this into the current game. I'll have to play around with it to see what is actually possible.
There are so many suggestions about path-finding robots, that it is very unlikely, that the devs havn't see them. I think they will not come in any way. The argument for me is the same as here on earth: Why by the hell should a robot be able to walk if flying is so much more practical?

I think having more types of towers would be cool, cause I also think, that with every new type of enemy the usefulness of one type of tower sinks. I see the right way in doing here something like in tower-defend games: Only the right combination of towers enables survive. :) And with the right combination of towers we need also the right combination of ammunition and supply that in the right way. I think it is an interesting part of the game. In many games I use a combination of lasers and gun turrets, cause gun-turrets prevent due to it's firerate and limited range, that a big horde of biters can distract the lasers from killing the spiters too much. If you use gun turrets, you can reduce the lasers. Less standby energy is used.

And a repair tower would be just one part of that puzzle.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Repair Tower

Post by johanwanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:51 pm

ssilk wrote:The argument for me is the same as here on earth: Why by the hell should a robot be able to walk if flying is so much more practical?
My idea was for something that can be used before flying robots become the norm. Think of the early game, when you spend 30 minutes trying to get the factory started. It would be great to have:
  • Something (easy/cheap to build) to fetch ores / coals / etc. to a given chest.
    This becomes obsolete pretty much as soon as you can mass produce belts, but it can still supply further reaches of the factory.
  • Something to run around repairing stuff.
    This won't become obsolete until your repair network covers the whole factory.
  • Something to supply the early turrets with ammo.
    This might or might not become obsolete, depending on how the base is built.
Basically, an autonomous helper bot to free the player from running all over the map in the early game.

Anyway, when I see "repair towers" I think of a roboport with bots and repair packs in them, except those are blue-science level techs and are expensive.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10462
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by ssilk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:02 pm

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... r+inserter

The response was none. That was at a time, where the devs read this board.

It is also a simple calculation: Walking entities need to pathfind the way. But the afford rises with the number of entities. That was the reason to reduce the number of enemies and instead adding more powerful.

It is not a good argument to say "We already have enemies, that walk, so we can have also robots, that walk". This is not quite the same, there is a small, but important difference. For the enemies the devs have the control to limit the number of enemies. For walking bots not. You can have unlimited much. There are some crazy players, which have 10,000 bots or more in one network! They will do that also for walking bots.

A CPU can handle 10,000 flying bots, that cannot collide, but not 10,000 walking bots, which then will collide endless.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Repair Tower

Post by johanwanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:23 pm

Now it feels like a challenge :) Let's table this for now. I'll see if I can mock up a mod that does some of this stuff, and let's see if it's even useful or fun. And I'll put a hard limit of the number of crawlies you can build.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by Zeblote » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:15 pm

ssilk wrote: A CPU can handle 10,000 flying bots, that cannot collide, but not 10,000 walking bots, which then will collide endless.
Have them walk over each other like ants :D

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10462
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by ssilk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Path needs to be searched. Or I can build a new device. All of those "events" needs to be calculated.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 11:29 am
Contact:

Re: Repair Tower

Post by sillyfly » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 pm


Post Reply

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users