No overflow on Belts?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ARC190
Inserter
Inserter

No overflow on Belts?

Post by ARC190 »

- Items on transport belts don't go off the belt at the end, so the transport belt has to go directly in front of the required inserter.
I don't know about any of you, fellow Factory builders, but I do think that making it so items don't fall off the end of a Transport belt is rather stupid, because it could cripple an entire factory. I, for one, am using the fact that items DO fall off the end more than I realized, and as it is now, with 0.12.0 in place, it just FEELS unnatural, even though it might only be a few pixels or so that changed. Just the knowledge that half of my usual production lines are useless is infuriating, and just this one little feature they implemented, or rather, deleted, is almost a complete deal breaker for me.
Please, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this way...

btw, I don't even know if a thread so close to an all out rant should be right here, in this category.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: No overflow on Belts?

Post by orzelek »

This might be proportional to how long you are playing the game to get used to this feature :D

I didn't manage to get fully used to it - maybe because it was always a bit strange for me that I need to remember to end the belt slightly earlier or few items will be dropped to far. In already present factory this is probably much bigger issue.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Old games/downward compatibility are no reason. This is alpha. Everything can break with the stuff before. :)

There was a discussion about this theme: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=6801
Result was pro belt-redesign.
So the question can only be: How to improve the current belts? How to improve the behavior?

My suggestion: Make the belt-ends a bit more visible.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The belt change does change one major thing. You used to be able to run 3 inserters and a terminated belt line on one side of an assembler. The overflow let you have an input inserter, but the empty space kept both belts separate. Now you need a dead space to terminate one belt, which can't have an inserter on it.

I dunno if that's really good or bad. I suspect rotating the conveyor towards the assembler will be good enough for making a dead end and allowing a new belt to begin.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Real life, the items would fall off the belt unless there was a blocker at the end. Factorio had that feature and it is now gone. I dont mind it. I kinda like it now.

But what is going to cripple bases the most is... apparently in v12.1, with the new lasers being a 2x2, any objects tbe lasers are colliding with get destroyed. If I didnt already fix this in my save I would have had a total power shutdown in my entire factory.
I have only heard this from a dev in my stream though. Still not sure if srs.
But if it is true... lots of people loading v11 bases are going to have some problems.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Real life, the items would fall off the belt unless there was a blocker at the end. Factorio had that feature and it is now gone. I dont mind it. I kinda like it now.

But what is going to cripple bases the most is... apparently in v12.1, with the new lasers being a 2x2, any objects tbe lasers are colliding with get destroyed. If I didnt already fix this in my save I would have had a total power shutdown in my entire factory.
But if it is true... lots of people loading v11 bases are going to have some problems.
Thats why i abandoned my old saves and started new world when 0.12 hit. Itll take less time to build new base with fixes in mind that search for all small details in old factories

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

oLaudix wrote: Thats why i abandoned my old saves and started new world when 0.12 hit. Itll take less time to build new base with fixes in mind that search for all small details in old factories
i built my recent base in v11.22 with v12 in mind, (not the lasers being 2x2, i thought it was only sentry turrets until release day) so i didn't have to adjust too much. just belt corners and etc.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Real life, the items would fall off the belt unless there was a blocker at the end. Factorio had that feature and it is now gone. I dont mind it. I kinda like it now.
I guess a visual barrier if the belt isn't connecting to another belt would be nice, like it is with rails
OBAMA MCLAMA wrote: But what is going to cripple bases the most is... apparently in v12.1, with the new lasers being a 2x2, any objects tbe lasers are colliding with get destroyed. If I didnt already fix this in my save I would have had a total power shutdown in my entire factory.
I'm pretty sure he was joking :)

Martc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Martc »

bobucles wrote:The belt change does change one major thing. You used to be able to run 3 inserters and a terminated belt line on one side of an assembler. The overflow let you have an input inserter, but the empty space kept both belts separate. Now you need a dead space to terminate one belt, which can't have an inserter on it.
That is not true, last bit of transport belt just needs to be curved not straight. But it takes me some time to realize that.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

orzelek wrote:This might be proportional to how long you are playing the game to get used to this feature :D

I didn't manage to get fully used to it - maybe because it was always a bit strange for me that I need to remember to end the belt slightly earlier or few items will be dropped to far. In already present factory this is probably much bigger issue.
I am fully used to it, but I've watched a bunch of amateurs play Factorio on Youtube, and have also played a single MP game of 12+ hours duration, and new players almost always assumed wrong about how Belts worked in alpha 11. They assumed that Belts/Inserters worked they way they do now in alpha 12. Based on that alone, it's a very good chance. Many aspects of Factorio are surprisingly intuitive and now Belts have been made intuitive too.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I've played the new belts now for 3 evenings and all my fears are gone. This was a brilliant change.

It looks much nicer, everything is moving so fluidly.

The overall transport is so much faster now, cause there is not longer the waiting time for each item, that the item before it has moved.
All the stupid things, that needs to be do to optimize the belt-troughput: Gone. You can now rely on, that a basic belt has a throughput of about 750 items/minute and a fast belt doubles it.

All, what's needed in my eyes is, that the end (and probably the beginning) of a belt looks a bit more "special" and that the items at the end of a belt are stopping some pixels (one item-length?) earlier, so that it looks nice.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”