alternative pollution color

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

alternative pollution color

Post by drs9999 »

I just watched a lets play of factorio(1) in which all the new awesome stuff was shown.
But because the player is colorblind it was very hard for him to see the pollution on the mapscreen.

So you might want to add an option or something to alter the pollutuon color.

(1)http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNoobsKanal/videos (if you are german or at least understand some of the language, you might want to check out his channel.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: alternative pollution color

Post by Dakkanor »

i would suggest having a hatched pattern as an option, less asthetically pleasing but more available to the colourblind i imagine

Jormungandr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jormungandr »

I second this! I'm red-green colourblind so it would be nice to be able to change the pollution colour to something else. I am sure that could even been worked into game mechanics, IE you need to interact with a radar array or something like that. About the only way I can tell that I am polluting is to ask someone else, or when the Biters show up.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We didn't think of this. There is way for you to check it out as well, you can press F4, and set the pollution_values option, you can see numbers representing the pollution in individual chunks.

Yes-Man
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Yes-Man »

Besides having the screen full of numbers and no FPS left, is there another solution yet (or maybe on the horizon)?
At least make the pollution overlay mod-able (as I understand it, the texture cannot be replaced at the moment).
A general 'colorblind' option in the graphic settings would be nice.

PS: I already used mods for cables, modules (speed vs productivity :/) and ores.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

I've done changes to in-game colours for the colourblind in the past, can I help?
I could change the colour to something completely different, or to the previously-mentioned hatched pattern. Just tell me what exactly you're looking for.
Just as an intermediate solution until the devs sort this out.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=22760 Support for Color Blinds / Better Visibility ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Yes-Man wrote:At least make the pollution overlay mod-able (as I understand it, the texture cannot be replaced at the moment).
It actually can be, and I just did as a proof of concept.
This actually looks kind of nice, though might interfere with map elements. Though I might keep it.
This actually looks kind of nice, though might interfere with map elements. Though I might keep it.
20170213193436_1.jpg (196.42 KiB) Viewed 7467 times
What you might say is that it can't be modded the regular way. You have to edit data/core/graphics/pollution-visualization.png manually. If you want to change that file to what I just have, here it is:
Took me, what, five seconds in GIMP?
Took me, what, five seconds in GIMP?
pollution-visualization.png (164 Bytes) Viewed 7467 times
Again, if that's not what you want, contact me.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

In 0.15 all of these kinds of images are gotten through the data.lua system so mods can change them if they want without having to modify the base game files.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

aye this blue Pollution fog is much easier to see then the red one
Mining Drill Operator

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

kovarex wrote:We didn't think of this. There is way for you to check it out as well, you can press F4, and set the pollution_values option, you can see numbers representing the pollution in individual chunks.
I've tried this and it's unreadable, maybe if it were 2-3 decimal places but the numbers from each chunk overlap into the next chunk if you zoom out to any reasonable distance and it's hard to get an overview.
Rseding91 wrote:In 0.15 all of these kinds of images are gotten through the data.lua system so mods can change them if they want without having to modify the base game files.
Mods are great but they disable achievements. This really should be in vanilla, colour deficiency isn't exactly rare.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Yes-Man
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Yes-Man »

deepdriller wrote:
Yes-Man wrote:At least make the pollution overlay mod-able (as I understand it, the texture cannot be replaced at the moment).
20170213193436_1.jpg
What you might say is that it can't be modded the regular way. You have to edit data/core/graphics/pollution-visualization.png manually. If you want to change that file to what I just have, here it is:
pollution-visualization.png
I like it very much. Just fyi, I've seen a white/lightgrey one some time back and it looked great.
As far as I can remember, modifying the base files leads to MP desync, right?
But it's good to hear, that there will be the possibility to mod this as soon as 0.15 arrives.
So here is my mod idea: take 'Colorblind UI Enhancements', add your pollution overlay and BAM! ^^

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Yes-Man wrote:As far as I can remember, modifying the base files leads to MP desync, right?
It only leads to a desync if it changes the gamestate, and modifying graphics doesn't do that.

You can get problems when updating though. Steam will replace them with the original files if it updates the game and verifying the game integrity will also reset them. I'm not sure how the Factorio updater handles this but it might stop you from updating the game.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

daniel34 wrote:I'm not sure how the Factorio updater handles this but it might stop you from updating the game.
It doesn't handle it well ... it causes updater to fail and you'll need to download new installer/zip to fix it.

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

deepdriller wrote:
20170213193436_1.jpg
The faintest blue is almost invisible in contrast to the green. Same would happen with yellow. Red doesn't have this problem.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Xeanoa wrote:The faintest blue is almost invisible in contrast to the green. Same would happen with yellow. Red doesn't have this problem.
Unless you're colourblind and can't see red........

On the contrary the faintest shade of blue is extremely visible to me.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Xeanoa wrote: The faintest blue is almost invisible in contrast to the green. Same would happen with yellow. Red doesn't have this problem.
I know what you're saying. I could do reduce the alpha channel to make it more visible.
Yes-Man wrote: I like it very much. Just fyi, I've seen a white/lightgrey one some time back and it looked great
Like this?
Meh, I like the blue one better.
Meh, I like the blue one better.
20170216170513_1.jpg (154.51 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
Again, here's the relevant file.
pollution-visualization.png (160 Bytes) Viewed 7338 times

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

deepdriller wrote:
Xeanoa wrote: The faintest blue is almost invisible in contrast to the green. Same would happen with yellow. Red doesn't have this problem.
I know what you're saying. I could do reduce the alpha channel to make it more visible.
Yes-Man wrote: I like it very much. Just fyi, I've seen a white/lightgrey one some time back and it looked great
Like this?
20170216170513_1.jpg
Again, here's the relevant file.
That's like best version. Easily visible even at low opacity, doesn't obscure content as much as red, and it works for colourblind and colour deficient people.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”