ghost image change time/persistent

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DutchyMcDutch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

ghost image change time/persistent

Post by DutchyMcDutch »

As it says here: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... =Blueprint =>

Ghostbuildings stay for 5 minutes, after that they get removed. So be sure to have all items needed to build in this time frame.

Would it be possible to have an options menu "option" to change the time of the image disappearing or even change it to "never" i.e. persistent blueprint/ghost image?

In case something happens but you're more then 5 minutes away/you didn't notice it in time?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: ghost image change time/persistent

Post by Rseding91 »

You can set the timeout using: /c game.forces.player.ghosttimetolive = #

Where # is any number of ticks you want up to some 2 billion.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DutchyMcDutch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DutchyMcDutch »

Thank you but in the final game I would rather have an option in the game instead of having to look up these console commands, plus console commands smell a bit like cheating:)

thank you for your help though.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This time-limit was one of the initial reasons, which leads to the discussions here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=13200

Or in other words: Don't increase time limit, reduce time for transport. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DutchyMcDutch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DutchyMcDutch »

ssilk wrote:This time-limit was one of the initial reasons, which leads to the discussions here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=13200

Or in other words: Don't increase time limit, reduce time for transport. :)
I understand your point but it presumes the area is covered by constr. robots right?

If an area is not covered, a persistent blueprint is useful because it shows you what went where and you don't have to rethink everything.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Therefore I would like to have special modes: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =67&t=4682
Maybe a little bit outdated meanwhile, but I think it is still relevant.

Cause - as you said - there is a difference between what you want as blueprint and what you want to build yourself. If I have an area covered by construction robots, then placing a blueprint means: Build that, now! Why should this behavior change, if the area is not covered? I'm still able to cover an area within seconds with roboports and bots.

And that the blueprints are disappearing has some reasons, cause what happens, if it could not be built? Factorio-engine needs to calculate, if there is now a possibility to build that ghost. If there are too much ghosted blueprints in the game, this takes just too much CPU.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DutchyMcDutch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DutchyMcDutch »

ssilk wrote:Therefore I would like to have special modes: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =67&t=4682
Maybe a little bit outdated meanwhile, but I think it is still relevant.

Cause - as you said - there is a difference between what you want as blueprint and what you want to build yourself. If I have an area covered by construction robots, then placing a blueprint means: Build that, now! Why should this behavior change, if the area is not covered? I'm still able to cover an area within seconds with roboports and bots.

And that the blueprints are disappearing has some reasons, cause what happens, if it could not be built? Factorio-engine needs to calculate, if there is now a possibility to build that ghost. If there are too much ghosted blueprints in the game, this takes just too much CPU.
But that last point is easily fixed, after say 10 minutes, you could have "idle" blueprints. So they are no longer requesting to be build but they stay there so you know what's what. They could get a small red line through them.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”