Continuous games

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

null-subject
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Continuous games

Post by null-subject »

Hey guys, I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I got this idea the first time I played Factorio: I think it would be awesome to have continuous games, kinda like in Anno. Here's the way I see it.

Around end game, you would unlock the ability to create trans-planetary rockets, and set up payloads for export. Then, you can create a new game, on a new planet (I don't know if this is already planned for Factorio, but different tilesets for different planets would be cool, or at least some color variation would be nice), and start receiving those drops. Maybe you could even have a way of loading back and forth between the two planets, but that would require some balancing. The interactions between the two planets would probably be very limited if the game only supports doing this via 2 different saves, but even a predetermined drop would be pretty cool, to help kickstart your new game. The ark in Anno 2070 essentially functions this way.

I don't know, I think it would be very cool to be able to create different scenarios for yourself (like bringing construction bots into a new game for example), and have a feeling of continuity throughout multiple freeplays. Obviously, this would be optional, so there aren't any downsides.

Just a thought.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Continuous games

Post by deepdriller »

I'm just gonna go ahead and do ssilk's job.
A mod for what you want: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=45&t=390

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

null-subject wrote:The ark in Anno 2070 essentially functions this way.
This was the main reason i bought Anno 2070. Best idea I ever encountered in this type of games. It allowed me to get hydro plant, production modules and some resources for easier start after first playthrough. It might function just as additional GUI in factorio, with some kind of global save for all games like ARC in Anno.
deepdriller wrote:I'm just gonna go ahead and do ssilk's job.
I wish ppl would describe what mod actually do. All i could find are release notes for newest versions with only changes specified and there are more mods that follow this.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

null-subject wrote:Hey guys, I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I got this idea the first time I played Factorio: I think it would be awesome to have continuous games, kinda like in Anno. Here's the way I see it.

Around end game, you would unlock the ability to create trans-planetary rockets, and set up payloads for export. Then, you can create a new game, on a new planet (I don't know if this is already planned for Factorio, but different tilesets for different planets would be cool, or at least some color variation would be nice), and start receiving those drops. Maybe you could even have a way of loading back and forth between the two planets, but that would require some balancing. The interactions between the two planets would probably be very limited if the game only supports doing this via 2 different saves, but even a predetermined drop would be pretty cool, to help kickstart your new game. The ark in Anno 2070 essentially functions this way.

I don't know, I think it would be very cool to be able to create different scenarios for yourself (like bringing construction bots into a new game for example), and have a feeling of continuity throughout multiple freeplays. Obviously, this would be optional, so there aren't any downsides.

Just a thought.
First, I don't understand what you hope to accomplish by starting a new map and getting items from the previous one - whats the point in doing the same thing but with the items you need the get already in hand ? what would be the goal of this new map/game ?

second, the next progression in Factorio is to send a rocket to space and build a spaceship that collects resources and produces fuel and items needed to sustain the ship's travel to some other place - isn't that like what you suggest in a way ? ( I personally don't like that direction and have suggested we go the build infrastructure for colonization route, but the #devs make the choices in this game)

Third, If there is a game that has that kind of end game/ continuous game system, why should Factorio go the same route ? and again - what's the point and where does it end ?
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

null-subject
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by null-subject »

How is that what I suggested? From what I could quickly gather, all this does is make a ton of unbalanced changes to the game. Perhaps I didn't find the right info? Maybe you could enlighten me.
oLaudix wrote:This was the main reason i bought Anno 2070. Best idea I ever encountered in this type of games. It allowed me to get hydro plant, production modules and some resources for easier start after first playthrough. It might function just as additional GUI in factorio, with some kind of global save for all games like ARC in Anno.
Yeah! It's an awesome feature.
oLaudix wrote:I wish ppl would describe what mod actually do. All i could find are release notes for newest versions with only changes specified and there are more mods that follow this.
No kidding.
jockeril wrote:First, I don't understand what you hope to accomplish by starting a new map and getting items from the previous one - whats the point in doing the same thing but with the items you need the get already in hand ? what would be the goal of this new map/game ?
I—perhaps incorrectly—feel like you might be intentionally dense here, but the point is to give the player the choice of skipping some of the early parts of the game, and to provide a sense of continuity for those who want it. It allows players to create their own scenarios in a way. The example I gave seems quite clear; you could use construction robots to establish your first factory on a new map for example. Obviously, as I have stated, this would need some restrictions. For example, in Anno they limit the amount of stuff you can carry over.
jockeril wrote:second, the next progression in Factorio is to send a rocket to space and build a spaceship that collects resources and produces fuel and items needed to sustain the ship's travel to some other place - isn't that like what you suggest in a way ? ( I personally don't like that direction and have suggested we go the build infrastructure for colonization route, but the #devs make the choices in this game)
Possibly? I'm not entirely familiar with the planned progression of the game. Your idea sounds cool too, but I don't see why they should be mutually exclusive. I feel like the freeplay in this game should be... well, free. If we're always building a rocket to fuel a ship, that's pretty dumb, and liable of getting boring fast.
jockeril wrote:Third, If there is a game that has that kind of end game/ continuous game system, why should Factorio go the same route ? and again - what's the point and where does it end ?
Are you seriously asking me why a game should have non-original features incorporated into its design? I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding you, because that seems too stupid a contention to have. Also, you are making incorrect assumptions: what end are you talking about? We're talking about freeplay here, right? If we are, then what's the end, in your mind? All I'm suggesting is to give players the ability to link those different freeplay games into a larger experience.

I think it's just not a feature that appeals to you, subjectively, and that's fine.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

null-subject wrote:
How is that what I suggested? From what I could quickly gather, all this does is make a ton of unbalanced changes to the game. Perhaps I didn't find the right info? Maybe you could enlighten me.
oLaudix wrote:This was the main reason i bought Anno 2070. Best idea I ever encountered in this type of games. It allowed me to get hydro plant, production modules and some resources for easier start after first playthrough. It might function just as additional GUI in factorio, with some kind of global save for all games like ARC in Anno.
Yeah! It's an awesome feature.
oLaudix wrote:I wish ppl would describe what mod actually do. All i could find are release notes for newest versions with only changes specified and there are more mods that follow this.
No kidding.
jockeril wrote:First, I don't understand what you hope to accomplish by starting a new map and getting items from the previous one - whats the point in doing the same thing but with the items you need the get already in hand ? what would be the goal of this new map/game ?
I—perhaps incorrectly—feel like you might be intentionally dense here, but the point is to give the player the choice of skipping some of the early parts of the game, and to provide a sense of continuity for those who want it. It allows players to create their own scenarios in a way. The example I gave seems quite clear; you could use construction robots to establish your first factory on a new map for example. Obviously, as I have stated, this would need some restrictions. For example, in Anno they limit the amount of stuff you can carry over.
jockeril wrote:second, the next progression in Factorio is to send a rocket to space and build a spaceship that collects resources and produces fuel and items needed to sustain the ship's travel to some other place - isn't that like what you suggest in a way ? ( I personally don't like that direction and have suggested we go the build infrastructure for colonization route, but the #devs make the choices in this game)
Possibly? I'm not entirely familiar with the planned progression of the game. Your idea sounds cool too, but I don't see why they should be mutually exclusive. I feel like the freeplay in this game should be... well, free. If we're always building a rocket to fuel a ship, that's pretty dumb, and liable of getting boring fast.
jockeril wrote:Third, If there is a game that has that kind of end game/ continuous game system, why should Factorio go the same route ? and again - what's the point and where does it end ?
Are you seriously asking me why a game should have non-original features incorporated into its design? I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding you, because that seems too stupid a contention to have. Also, you are making incorrect assumptions: what end are you talking about? We're talking about freeplay here, right? If we are, then what's the end, in your mind? All I'm suggesting is to give players the ability to link those different freeplay games into a larger experience.

I think it's just not a feature that appeals to you, subjectively, and that's fine.
Well, on the second post you make on these forums you already insulted me twice ! I wonder what you can accomplish in 100 posts...

I'm not dense and unlike you I have 1 year's experience in these forums and I follow the FFF's (bet you don't know what that is ! - the "factorio facts Friday", where the devs post the weekly update on game development progression, not that you'd care...). If you took the time to at least read the Factorio Roadmap you might reconsider you ideas and approach to the game... and to the community you are entering

be sure to understand that this is me holding back, especially today (when I am very engry at some people at work, but I keep smiling politely to everyone), so get in line and be nice to your fallow factorians ! :evil:

so be kind - rewind :)
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

You shouldnt be so hard on idea's jockeril, remember, no idea is a bad idea. Everything is a valid suggestion, because thats all it is until its in the game, a suggestion.

Null thought of something he would be interested having in factorio, he suggested it.
I dont think it is right for people to shut down suggestions, it is the communities job to take that suggestion, and either ignore it, add on to it, or improve the suggestion. That is my opinion.

Along with that, the factorio v12 has surface support now. It is now possible to have multiple maps in one save. This suggestion can be done with mods.
The surface support is added for the later plans for end game. Only the fff can keep us up to date :)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”