Player/Cargo teleporters?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Player/Cargo teleporters?

Post by bobucles »

Are there mods for this? I'm thinking along the lines of top tier structures that let you move quickly over arbitrary distances. Such structures might work like so:
Cargo Teleporter
- Links two points in space.
- Two inventory slots, In and Out.
- Charges up, using high energy (1MW, 10-20 sec)
- Teleports Out when charged.
- Requires high tier tech, low number of artifacts (1-10)
Player Teleporter
- Links to a network
- Charges up, using massive energy (10-20MW, 60-120sec) and sparkly effects.
- Player enters teleporter
- Chooses destination on map (or by station name)
- Poof
- Requires top tier tech, high number of artifacts (10-50)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Player/Cargo teleporters?

Post by daniel34 »

Please use the search function before posting new ideas, as most ideas have already been mentioned or modded:

Avatar teleporter (teleporter pad): https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=6782
Teleporter for items: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=544
"Portal" chests: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 886&p=6171
Teleport command: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =33&t=9322
Teleportation device: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =33&t=9340
Pneumatic delivery: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=7150
[MOD] Telelogistics: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3134
[MOD] Telepad: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=6892
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

And to be honest, i don't see any reason for that to be vanilla gameplay.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Takezu wrote:And to be honest, i don't see any reason for that to be vanilla gameplay.
Ha! :) I see.

Well, it has something to do with reducing complexity and introducing a gameplay, that works a bit more like Railroad Tycoon or OTTD.
An outpost needs to be grounded and expanded and that job is quite complicated, if you need 5 minutes to travel to that by train. One thing forgotten and you need to travel back.

Besides this, there are other reasons, of course. :) But I think, this is the main reason and also the most interesting with the most game-value, because grounding such far away outposts is a cool thing.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well maybe me but enjoy a trainride far more then a Zip you are there. Especially if a group of biter is playing on the tracks that time :mrgreen:

And on the other hand, you would gradually make trains obsolet, think about it, why building a rail network if you can just teleport the damn stuff all over the place.

Don'T come with energycosts, who who has that far away outposts has solar arrays that stomach everything, and if not he builds it.

In my honest opinion, thats something for people that are unwilling to deal with the Cargologistics that comes with a growing factory, and only want to deal
with the growing of the factory itself, which is perfectly fine for me, but i thin really that that's something that should be handeld by a mod, and not in vanilla itself.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Takezu wrote:Well maybe me but enjoy a trainride far more then a Zip you are there. Especially if a group of biter is playing on the tracks that time :mrgreen:
Joy of riding to a new outpost get's lost after the 10th ride, you know. ;)
And on the other hand, you would gradually make trains obsolet, think about it, why building a rail network if you can just teleport the damn stuff all over the place.
When you take time to read all the suggestions, then you see, that this is not the case for every suggestion. The rocket for example is a one-timerand by far too expensive to use it for transport. And the pneumatic delivery needs capsules, which prevents it from using it for returning items back with the same way.
for people that are unwilling to deal with the Cargologistics that comes with a growing factory, and only want to deal
with the growing of the factory itself, which is perfectly fine for me, but i thin really that that's something that should be handeld by a mod, and not in vanilla itself.
That is your opinion. In my opinion far away outposts can be a super gameplay, cause they give you the basic possibility to play on every map, not even stupid simple maps. ;)

Think of multiplayer games, which are 10000 tiles away. How to send the other players needed items?

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Train, and i'm not kidding either.
When i see multiplayer (i haven'T played multi myself, due to no gamepartner.) you have to get the 10000tiles away in the first place. Either by Car Tank Train or per foot, if the latter respect thats tedious.
Long range transportation i'd do by trains, and i found myself somtimes only driving around on my longest line just for the heck of it, if there are no majors in the main base ;) for me even the 100th ride is worth while, way to much fun :)

Far outposts i've many, i'll play RSO mostly, and in combination with Dytech and/or bobs Mods you'll end up with al whole lot of them.
Concept is simple the farther you go the better the rewards. But i'd never thought: jezz would be nice to teleport the stuff over.
Where is the fun in that? It takes away the thoughts about how to get the stuff home, it takes away the building of the infrastucture to get the stuff home.
And it takes away the thinking of how to make the transportation more efficent.

And thinking about it, i wouldn't feel that i've accomplished something by plopping down two teleporters and be done. Building a Railway is not easy and can be tedious, but afterwards at least i fell i've accomplished something, i've earned the Copper/iron/Whatever i bring home with it.

I really think that such thing is a great idea for a mod, but not that great for vanilla gameplay.
And Ssilk i'm talking explicit about teleportation, not a rocket nor a pneumatic system.
Because this thread is about Teleportation not about Pony Express, Interplanatary rocket delevery or compressed air tubes ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, to get not too deep into this off-topic I try to keep it general:

Trains are really useful to transport masses of item-types, but only a small amount of types; I think maximum 10 different item-types, which is in my eyes already too much. That is perfect to transport the raw iron or even the iron-plates or whatever. Transport in one direction.

But they are really a mess, and It hurts a lot, if you want to transport for example roboports by train. Currently you need to fill a whole stack of roboports in the wagon. No way around it. if you want to transport only small amounts of many item-types.

And this type of transport closes exactly this gap (more or less clever, I admit, that a pure teleport would be too easy).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It would need to have some kind of limitation in item throughput. It would fill the gap that ssilk is writing about nicely.
I admit I'm not someone who would spend lots of effort on prepping train with materials for new base - I find that to much fiddling. I'll stock up in raws/intermediates and construct it on the spot (defense structures are exception to this). Ability to place teleport and then (using circuits preferably?) order all basic stuff that you need few of from main base.

I would be a bit on the fence about actual player teleportation. It would be pretty handy and still keep the requirement that you need to go there (and provide power most likely?) for you to be able to teleport there later. Would be very useful for RSO for sure due to larger distances :D

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Silk, if i where to transport something across half the map, i din't would only ttransport one thing.
Thats in efficent to begin with. And whatever the chois of transportation is, it's in efficent, if you have to span a large distance,
you want as many needet materials and things as possible with you. Because you want to make the trip as seldom as possible.

I don'T know about roboports but i didn't see why i'd have to fill a whole stack in?
a stack uses the same space as a singelport. If you want to fill it automaticly true then only 1 is hard to get, but thats not the trains fault, that problem would persist with everything which would be automaticly feed for transportation. If you just want one singel item, you'd have to feed it manualy in any case i think.

And going of topic: Pneumatic systems where something for short and mid range, rocket delivery for long distance which would perfectly fine.
Maybe, and thats just a thought, you could use a helicopter or plane, for really long distance transport. I don't know but i think i'd would be possible to make such a thin, i mean we have flying robots afterall. Would help with the tens of thousends tiles of forests if you could just fly over. Maybe even with a heliportbuilding for safe landing?
But teleportation, aside from energy needs of a midsized star, which our steam and solar couldn't handel in the first place, is plain to easy.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Takezu wrote:Silk, if i where to transport something across half the map, i din't would only ttransport one thing.
Thats in efficent to begin with. And whatever the chois of transportation is, it's in efficent, if you have to span a large distance,
you want as many needet materials and things as possible with you. Because you want to make the trip as seldom as possible.
I still try to keep it general to avoid total off-topic. :)
I don'T know about roboports but i didn't see why i'd have to fill a whole stack in?
You need to insert the roboports into a wagon, right? Currently you need to make a wagon of filtered stacks (one stack is for the roboports) and then insert the roboports. The inserter stops only, if the stack in the wagon are full. But you explain it yourself:
a stack uses the same space as a singelport. If you want to fill it automaticly true then only 1 is hard to get, but thats not the trains fault, that problem would persist with everything which would be automaticly feed for transportation. If you just want one singel item, you'd have to feed it manualy in any case i think.
It lasts too long, Takezu! Simply that. I've played that too much, to say, it can take an hour to bring one stupid item to an outpost. Doing it "by hand" is a) too slow, b) too stupid. This is Factorio, try to automate evrything. :)
In other words: It should take some time, yes, but not more than a minute or two. It should cost some, the more you transport, the most costs. And the most important: The play should not be forced to return.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

As soon as you research inserter stacksize bonus, every transportation of singel items is for naught ;)

It would only work if your transport"box" is a logistic thing and the item in question comes from a belt, as said not the trains fault. Neither would it be the fault of any other transportvehicle whatever it is.

That has nothing to do with new longrange transportation methods, thats more the wish for Wire conditions on Cargowagons/train, then it would be easiely possible to send a singel item on track. And that doesn'T need teleportation in vanilla either.
A wire condition work if item count under 1 stop if item count equals 1 would do the trick.

But that would be the case for any transportation method, regardless if it's by car train pony intercontinantelrocket or who knows what ;)

To come back, teleportation is instant item/player/whatever transfer, and thats a thing i really belive would be imbalanced as hell.
If i've an outpost at the back of the beyond, it's only right that it takes time that goods send there reach it.
It means i've to plan in advance, yes it means work and thinking, but if i've such an ouptost,
then there must be something worth it, else i wouldn't set it up in the first place.
And Faster trains with less cargo, or as said heliports with cargohelicopter seem to me be a much better alternativ as teleportation.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It doesn't make sense for any discussion, if one says "In general it makes sense under that conditions" and the other "But not in this case". :roll:

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Alright, so it seems that teleporters come down to player's quality of game play. I really hate forgetting something and having to make a huge trip back for something. I know it's my fault, but it'd be nice if eventually there's an open to address it. Logistic bots scale really badly and trains are rather infrastructure heavy.

I think logistic planes are a better fit for the game, but man was the teleportation tubes from buildcraft really fun & useful. They can save setting up hundreds of tiles of pipes, belts, tracks, or roboports. Teleportation of any kind should use massive amounts of power to the point it's really not worth teleporting tons of stuff unless you've got gigawatts of spare power. Since it seems planes were already thought to be included, I think they should be smaller cargo than a train, but work like logistic bots. They can do "drops" to bring you stuff or haul stuff to and from airports.

I would say Ssilk it's not about reducing complexity, but more about preventing tedious boredom. Playing a game shouldn't be an exercise in repetitive boring tasks. Players should be able to spend their time designing & building new things.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

If you want a minecraft comparison, think of Thermal Expension. Tesseracts for days, teleport all the things, who cares its for free (almost).

Thats what i meant, plop down done ... can'T see the fun...
Good they where for beginnigs hard to come by but sooner or later you've just enough to teleport everything even if it was only 50blocks away.
Now the thing is that are mod features and where never intendet to be vanilla and that was good as it was.

But good point, there is something missing, a method of moving smaller freights across long distances.
And Planes or Helicopters, which i think would fit even better, fit vanilla perfectly, teleportation on the other hand, i think not really.

And Ssilk: I'Ve meant that in any case your "Cargobox" has to be logistics/wire compatible, and the item has to come from a belt, to ensure that you only transfer one item, after researching inserter stack boni. Regardles of choosen method of transportation your inserter would transfer more otherwise. Maybe ther might be some differrent methods that i'm unaware of but in any case, if your inserter can pick up more then one item he will, regardless if its a train car or something else to which it transfers.
Now i can'T see how that implies that i've talked about in that case that in other cases something else? Care to tell me what i'm missing?
Maybe even in german to ward off missunderstandings?

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Thats what i meant, plop down done ... can'T see the fun...
It's not really about being fun in of itself, but about avoiding the parts the take away from the fun. I never played Thermal Expansion, but in buildcraft I used the teleport pipes to avoid having to mine out a path for pipes or I didn't want to lay 50+ pipes down over terrain. I could plop it down & move on to playing with it. I don't see the fun in laying belts or pipes 50+ tiles without using them in between. Pipes are especially annoying, but I use trains or bots where I can. I want to get stuff running so I can build the layouts and get stuff made so I can use it. The teleport pipes used frequencies so you had to manage your frequency usage and control how much goes where. It still adds the logistics fun without laying hundreds of belts, tracks, or pipes.

I'm all for the plane though. I was so excited to see in the campaign. I thought it would be interesting endgame transportation. Planes wouldn't have the collision problem or requires thousands of rails all the time. Though maybe with the rail improvements, but they still can't deliver to you outside the rail network.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I've made a new thread about it: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=13200 Discussing the (missing?) 4th type of transport!

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

So from what I gather, a teleporter that only costs energy is totally out of the question. Even if it only moves a small quantity of items as suggested, players would simply build a gorrillion solar panels to take care of it, and forget about trains and never build logistic networks and hell freezes over and all sorts of bad stuff. But players still have need of an ultra fast, low capacity network to deal with their odds and ends. So what if the teleportation cost raw materials? Say that the teleport pad works like this instead:

- requires "energon cubes" to function. On the low end these cost some advanced circuits/steel (2-5 + 4-10), or on the high end a processing unit and more steel (10-20).
- Cargo pad still has a low throughput (10-30 seconds of charging) and requires a large energy charge(1-2 MW, 20-60MJ). One packet costs one cube, outgoing.
- Cargo pads only link 2 points in space, A to B.

- Player pad is larger and meaner, taking 60-120 seconds to charge @ 5-10MW and a large number of cubes (10-20).
- All player pads are network connected, allowing one pad to go to any other pad.
- Bonus: Players can respawn on a pad, consuming only the energy charge. Because lets face it you already lost all your items after dying, and teleporting in new items is still expensive.

The main thing is that you can't teleport raw goods without burning WAY MORE resources than it's worth. The main logistic "exploit" is fixed, letting the pad network deal with small numbers of HIGH priority items. Pads still have monolithic energy requirements because a gorrillion solar panels is still a lot of raw infrastructure and even one pad should be difficult for a small base. Teleporting from home is easier because it has the infrastructure to make cubes, but teleporting TO home requires building cubes on site or hauling them in. Burning cubes to move cubes is just asking for trouble.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”