Three in one

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Three in one

Post by ssilk »

Is there any plan to add in the logistics system an upper limit to stop the supply of items and a lower limit to restart the supply?
Cool idea. This brought me to the idea, that we need only one type of chest. Instead of three! :)

This is how it could work: for every item we have a lower limit and a upper limit. The lower limit means: under this limit I request the item. The upper limit means: over this limit I provide the item. The distance between upper and lower limit is the storage.

By default, the chest works as a provider chest. All upper limits are zero.
By setting the upper limit of an item the box stores that many items before providing them. The number of this items are shown in the logistic network!
By setting only a lower limit the box begins to work as requester chest for that item.
By setting both, where the upper is higher than the lower the box works as requester and storage.
And by setting both, where the lower is higher than the upper the box works as a ... Forwarder? It requests some items and it provides all. Dunno if that makes sense.

A good automatism would be, that inserting items by by hand means setting the lower and upper limit to that number.

Not really thought ready, but I would give it a try.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Three in one

Post by Arakasi »

ssilk wrote:And by setting both, where the lower is higher than the upper the box works as a ... Forwarder? It requests some items and it provides all. Dunno if that makes sense.
This one seems strange to me. I realize this purpose but I don't see practical usage. This option gives job for logistic robots, but actually it behaves like regular provider chest. And there should be additional check which ensures, that robot does not deliver item to the same chest where it receives from.

I think chest set with the same number for high and low limit will behave the same and also hold some "buffer" items in it.

e.g high = 64, low = 64
This chest holds 64 items, but still request one because low limit was not exceeded. If 65th item comes it is automatically provided for further transportation and chest does not request new item.

I think this is better solution regards to the logistic robot and background calculations.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

min/max is standard way of doing this in logistics, but I'm afraid that making the gui even more complicated is not worth it.

sword2410
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sword2410 »

kovarex wrote:min/max is standard way of doing this in logistics, but I'm afraid that making the gui even more complicated is not worth it.
Maybe a small adjustment in logistics, not to start the task of supply until the amount and items is below 15% or 20% of the amount initially set?

You will not need any modifications in the GUI and can be the tweak in logistics worthwhile.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

There's a lot more to managing a supply system than just 'start the task of supply' when something gets below a certain number.
This is assuming you're not being obtuse and ignoring the already stated solutions to producing a target amount.

If you need more items to be stockpiled, increase your requester limits, if you want less, decrease them.
If you're using storage chests, there's your problem.
If you're making suggestions without doing a basic search on the forum to see what's already been said, there's your problem.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Three in two

Post by ssilk »

kovarex wrote:min/max is standard way of doing this in logistics, but I'm afraid that making the gui even more complicated is not worth it.
Ok, one chest alone makes problems, I think also for the colors of the chests, which are needed.

But how about having only two chests. A requester and a provider. That simplifies much. Both have handles to set number of items.

For the requester chest nothing changes.

For the provider if nothing said, it works as known. But if you set a number for an item, the provider begins to work as a storage chest, but only for that item.

I mean this would really fix the problem with the chests.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”