Science Pack Quality - density and secret research

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ThePiachu
Inserter
Inserter

Science Pack Quality - density and secret research

Post by ThePiachu »

TL;DR
It would be nice if higher quality Science Packs were denser and gave you access to secret research.

What ?
So AFAIK Quality modifiers for Science Packs are rather pointless at the moment since they weren't announced to be doing anything. Fair enough, something like a 30% boost to amount of research wouldn't mean much if you need to spend 10 Science Packs rerolling them for higher quality. But then I had an idea - what if Quality actually helped?

So first, Quality could improve the research density. If it takes like 10 Normal quality Science Packs to make 1 Uncommon Science Pack, it would be nice if the Uncommon variant gave you 10x as many science points. The idea would be so that if you commit to it you are gaining a bit more with Quality Modules vs Productivity Modules of similar tier and Quality since you are paying with added complexity of the build.

The second bonus would be that you could have some research that can only be done with a certain tier of Science Packs. Maybe the infinite research has a progression where say, the first 20 levels accept Normal, then the next 20 require Uncommon and so on until you need Legendary Science Packs. Or maybe there is some parallel research that does that for bonus infinite research.

I know Quality is an optional part of the game that needs to be enabled separately, so I guess the bonuses it gives shouldn't be so necessary people would be missing out, but it would still be nice to have something...
Why ?
This kind of change would make Quality matter for Science Packs and give more incentive for people to create new research setups spicing things up a bit, plus a new end-game goal of creating Legendary Science Pack base.

freakycheeseman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Science Pack Quality - density and secret research

Post by freakycheeseman »

So I think having quality not impact science is actually intentional - and a good thing. It means you maintain a use for lower-quality products, rather than just having the entire factory be "quality".

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”