Create new backup file instead of overwriting blueprint-storage-backup.dat

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Thorbane
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Create new backup file instead of overwriting blueprint-storage-backup.dat

Post by Thorbane »

Exactly what the title says. For future versions, append a number and version id to the end of the filename if blueprint-storage-backup.

If you hop between a few versions of Factorio to load up an old save, it can overwrite blueprint-storage-backup.dat multiple times, resulting in loss of blueprints.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Create new backup file instead of overwriting blueprint-storage-backup.dat

Post by Qon »

What does "hop between versions" mean?
Factorio doesn't support downgrading, if you hop down you are copying files around manually in a way that can't really be supported.

If you have multiple install directories then just don't delete your blueprints when moving on to use another.

If you just use the updater from steam or inside client then you don't lose blueprints.

Also, they can't update old versions with this new feature, so they will behave as they do now anyways.

And do you really want a backup directory that just grows without limit??

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Create new backup file instead of overwriting blueprint-storage-backup.dat

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Yeah, I'm not sure if this would be worth it? I mean, I can definitely see the value if the game had included the version number or something on the backups so it could load a pre-existing backup where appropriate, but it does seem like some versions' BP files are incompatible with others, and this is simply something you are capable of doing by merit of the devs leaving older versions available but aren't actually supporting.

Plus, as Qon noted, if added, this would only affect when going to the version they implement it on and up. It would not help at all when going to previous versions.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”