Some Controller Suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Some Controller Suggestions

Post by protocol_1903 »

TL;DR
I would like to navigate menus (crafting, logistics, inventories, selection, settings, etc.) with the D-pad.

I would like to be able to move while the inventory and quick panel are open.

I would like to be able to change inventory screens with buttons.
What ?
Currently, you can only navigate these menus with the on-screen cursor or joystick when in discrete mode (locked cursor). I would like to navigate menus using the same system but with the D-pad instead of the joystick. This is more comfortable to me and feels more responsive. I would be fine if this was a toggle setting (i.e. change from joystick to d-pad) but the option would be nice.

I often use my hotbar (when playing keyboard + mouse) to display things like how many items i have and of what amounts. I would like a similar system for controller, even if it is off by default. A small hotbar would be nice, same with shortcut menu, just for a few things. There is currently no way to do this while moving, as opening your inventory or the quick panel pauses movement. This leads into my other suggestion, which would allow movement while either menu is open. Using the right joystick/D-pad while the inventory is open would work, and you can't use the right joystick while the quick panel is open so I would like to use that one for the menu, or the D-pad.

My last suggestion is a small one. I would like to change inventory screens (Crafting, Character, Logistics, etc.) with buttons. My personal recommendation would be the bumpers.
Why ?
I think this is some nice QOL for controller/steam deck players. Note that I'm not sure if this is already implemented, I'm using a relatively old XBOX controller so some things might be broken. The movement thing would be nice to check your inventory or queue crafting items, etc. The rest is a few first impression things I was expecting and noticed weren't existing/apparent.

One more little thing: I noticed that if you pipette while the technology screen is open, it pipettes whatever is behind it. Not sure if this is intended behaviour.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”