Idea for the goal in the late game - supply ships on orbit

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Idea for the goal in the late game - supply ships on orb

Post by n9103 »

Another game with Orbital end game goals is the Outpost Series.
OP2 in particular has a decently flexible launching system, including some offensive payloads.
But like 2140, it's also an RTS.

As for current system, if survival isn't a good motivator for you, then perhaps you should try some non-creeper maps, or some limited dimension maps. (2500x2500 is a decent size.)
There's something to be said for simply building a large transportation system, without having to worry about security.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

andzoak wrote:
n9103 wrote:People from colony ship began to understand that is real chance to colonize the planet.
Two questions: why would you want to go into a colony ship without knowing, what will await you. You can send probes out there, to investigate the system, you have a millions of systems within the next 1000 light years. How stupid would it be not to send probes to every potential system, before you send a colony ship there? And why by the hell would you build such a colony ship, without having a plan B in backhand. Not even airplanes of no-frills airlines start with such low reserve.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

ssilk wrote:
andzoak wrote:
n9103 wrote:People from colony ship began to understand that is real chance to colonize the planet.
Your quote editing needs some adjustment, since I sure didn't say that.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

_0rbit_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _0rbit_ »

I have not read the whole thread, but if the initial story is an accident during colonization of another planet then I think there is a logical story line that could be followed. It also has implications for the game elements that should be there (some of which are not there yet).

When you colonize a planet and send out pioneering ships, these ships should be loaded with things that are needed for making the planet habitable or at least machines to make all these products on the spot. How else are you going to house all the people who are coming in the second wave of ships? The things needed range from food, housing, medical supplies, oxygen. It seems the game as of now is focussed a bit too much on other things.

First stage: Prepare the atmosphere. Let's assume there are things in it that are harmful and there are things lacking in it. For instance, oxygen levels are too low. There should be machines to "wash" the atmosphere to remove harmful stuff. Other machines add oxygen from processing soil. These machines were lost in the accident. They have to be produced, setup, maintained and ran.

Second stage: Produce machines to provide clean drinking water. These machines were also lost.

Third stage: Provide housing and infrastructure.

(Arrival of the second wave)

Fourth stage: Provide goods for the inhabitants.

Of course all the while the bases, villages, cities that are built need to be defended against the various alien races in a RTS type game.

-----

Perhaps the story of an accident is problematic, because it does not allow the player to colonize multiple planets in similar ways. Why not have some kind of colonization team that travels to planets to work their magic? This way multiple levels could be created in sort of a campaign mode in which ever more difficult alien races are encountered.

Just my two cents.

PS: I absolutely love the game. I ordered it the second I saw the demo. I would not really mind if it never does get a story line and is just about gathering, connecting, producing, like the old TTD was :P

Kelidoskoped
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Idea for the goal in the late game - supply ships on orbit

Post by Kelidoskoped »

Factorio Space Program

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”