The emoji/icon button needs a keybind

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

The emoji/icon button needs a keybind

Post by mrbaggins »

TLDR: The emoji/icon button in things like train station naming needs a keybind option.

What: Make a keybinding that opens the emoji / icon list. Also nice would be an option or a default to set focus to the search box (Ctrl+F already does this, but is an extra needed UX step).

Why: Having to go mouse, keyboard, mouse, keyboard, mouse to name stations is a pain in the ass when naming stations. Especially if you're doing two or three in a row. Typical current UX to set up a station:

* Click station (Mouse)
* Click rename button (mouse)
* Type part of the name (keyboard)
* Click emoji button (mouse)
* Ctrl+F, type search text (keyboard)
* Click icon (mouse)
* Type rest of name (keyboard)
* (Optional repeat last four steps again, for example "Iron plate [ICON] Ore [ICON] DROP"
* Click accept or press enter

Whereas a keybind for emoji removes at least 2, often 4, context switches. A keybind for renaming stations would make it "click station, all keyboard, done". But emoji is the main culprit.
Last edited by mrbaggins on Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The emoji/icon button needs a keybind

Post by Illiander42 »

The mess of relocating your mouse hand is why I don't include text in my stations names anymore.

I just use logi chest icons to say what type of station it is, which makes almost every station name just two symbols.

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: The emoji/icon button needs a keybind

Post by mrbaggins »

I'm hoping that the new parameterised blueprints thing will work for my usecase well, as being able to pick the icon and have it use the name after should fit.

It alleviates this issue a fair bit, especially in my own personal usecase, but being able to keybind an emoji would be nice.

Bonuses for keyboard navigation of the resulting screen (tab to switch tabs, arrow keys to highlight an item, enter to choose it)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”