Persistent trains dialog box

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

half a cat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Persistent trains dialog box

Post by half a cat »

TL;DR
The state of the trains dialog box should persist when the dialog is closed and reopened.

What ?
When the trains dialog box is used, closed, and reopened, the view should remain the same. Specifically, the search string, selected tab, and selected list item should remain the same.

In the attachment, the search string is "plastic", the "Stations" tab is selected, and the "Drop plastic" list item is selected. Currently, if the dialog is closed and reopened, these UI inputs would reset to their defaults and the selection would no longer be visible. These UI inputs should instead remain the same, so the user sees the same view as before the dialog was closed.
plastic.jpeg
plastic.jpeg (596 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Why ?
In my primary use case for the stations dialog, I want to examine all stations having a given name. The current interface makes me repeat the same UI inputs for each station.

In this example there are 6 "Drop plastic" stations. I search for and select the station name I want. I click on the first station having that name. The dialog is closed to make the remote view visible. Then I reopen the dialog, search again, and select the station name again. I click on the second station having that name. I repeat this for all 6 stations.

I would like to reopen the dialog and simply click on the next station without repeating other UI inputs.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Persistent trains dialog box

Post by SoShootMe »

half a cat wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:23 am
The state of the trains dialog box should persist when the dialog is closed and reopened.
Related: Back button on Trains interface

As I wrote in that thread and you have described too, the underlying issue is that the current behaviour leads to tiresome repeated navigation. I think the train overview is the most significant example but, to varying degrees, the same could be said of the crafting window (which persists tab but not scroll positions), blueprint library (which forces you to work your way back to the top), production statistics (which persists filters but not search, tab or time period), electric network info (similar to production statistics), the research/technology tree (nothing is persisted) and the map (which persists view toggles but not centre, and limits zoom).

half a cat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by half a cat »

Ah, reassuring to see that other people want the same improvement.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:39 am
tiresome repeated navigation
Nailed it!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”