add new signal RGB (Friday Facts #388)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: add new signal RGB (Friday Facts #388)

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 am
Qon wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:04 pm
HSL with H/L as x/y axis gives all the saturated colors, makes for a quick color picker that is easy to understand.
And a saturation slider added next to it for completeness.
I like that. It's something I can naturally understand how to use, despite being the ultimate noob to anything color related.
Personal note : I don't even know what a saturation slider does without googling it, and the color palette seems quite complete, so I'm under the impression I could even do without the saturation slider.

And as an end-user, I don't really care if it makes sense from a graphist standpoint, just this and a pipette, I need nothing more.
Agreed!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

se-m
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by se-m »

Sorry for my late answer - had a lot of work.
My proposal is not only for select color of a lamp (colorpicker), but more for dynamic color change with combinators.
RGB model is more simple to me, for example I can easily build combinators to show battery level (from green to red).
I can likely solve same task with HSL, but it takes more time, because I'm not familar with that color model.
That is why I suggested to add several signals based on popular color models.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

coppercoil wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 am
Let's get full color signals first :)
Why are you suggesting CMYK, a space for printers, as a format for lamps? And prioritized above light based color models like RGB!?!? For LAMPS sending out light. And this is the second time now in the same thread. It makes no sense, I vote against it being an option at all + a ban on any mod that tries to add it as well.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Qon wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:39 pm
coppercoil wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 am
Let's get full color signals first :)
Why are you suggesting CMYK, a space for printers, as a format for lamps?
I did not suggest CMYK for lamps. I mentioned CMYK just as example, that other color spaces are also very simple for some people, and the "simpleness" is a false impression and false argument. Regardless of the specific color space, you either used to use it, either are not. There IS NO LIMITATION to use CMYK for light emitting devices, the only question is: do allow the formulas to convert one colorspace to another colorspace. And yes, another question is: what colorspace you are used to use. This is why I not exclude RGB, that is bad colorspace everyone used to use. I say, there may be two or more colorspaces, because why not, because this is not difficult. I think developers might introduce and promote new and betters tools, instead of copypasting legacy ones.
Though, if developers said "this is not our concern to invent better tools", this is fine, give us RGB lamps. This is what OP asked for, this is what I asked for in the post you have commented.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I have no idea about colorspaces and whatnot, but having a lamp signal with 3x8bits for color would be pretty rad, I think. :D
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”