Proposal for achievements with mods.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Valkyronix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Proposal for achievements with mods.

Post by Valkyronix »

Currently, using mods of any kind will disable achievements for that save. Even mods that do not affect gameplay or progression at all, like a texture change. I am not suggesting that achievements be enabled regardless of mods, rather a sort of tiered approval system. The game Deep Rock Galactic has a wonderful system for mods consisting of three categories: verified, approved, and sandbox. Verified mods are ones that do not affect progression at all, and dont impact the experience of other players. This includes texture changes, sound changes, ui changes, and other mods of that nature. Approved mods do affect progression, but are not considered a severe enough change to warrant a sandbox label. Mods in this category are things like swarm size doublers, minor weapon stat changes, even new weapons. Finally there is sandbox, where everything that could be considered "cheating" goes. Think infinite ammo, infinite health, that kind of thing.

I think that Factorio should have a similar mod system, consisting of two categories. One for mods that disable achievements, and one for mods that dont. Mods which dont disable achievements would be anything that doesnt affect gameplay significantly or progression at all. Retextures, sound changes, ui changes, minor things would go in this category. Anything else would go in the achievements disabled category.

As for how mods could get this rating, the process could be as follows:
- Mod is created/uploaded. Initially given the achievements disabled tag.
- The mod author or the community could suggest that the mod be given the achievements enabled tag
- If certain trusted people agree that the mod does not affect gameplay significantly, the mod is assigned achievements enabled.
- Mods that are texture or sound changes only are automatically granted achievements enabled tag.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Proposal for achievements with mods.

Post by Koub »

Recurring request in different forms.
Valkyronix wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 pm
Currently, using mods of any kind will disable achievements for that save.
Let me quote a dev :
Klonan wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:50 pm
Mods don't disabled achievements, mods can even add their own achievements, they are simply separated from vanilla achievements
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Valkyronix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Valkyronix »

Sorry, let me clarify. This is for steam achievements. And I am aware that it is a recurring request, however I wanted to suggest a solution thats more than just "enable all achievements".

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Valkyronix wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:09 pm
And I am aware that it is a recurring request, however I wanted to suggest a solution that's more than just "enable all achievements".
Oh yeah, I have zero problems with that, just that you'll hopefully not be the only one seeing your post. For the others, it might be interesting to know there is a history with different suggestions revolving around the mutual exclusion between Steam achievements or console commands and mods.

If it were me, I'd remove achievements altogether : I came under the conclusion that achievements have a tendency to :
1) make me play more (which is good)
2) make me play with less pleasure to the point I can get fed up with a game (which is bad)

A good game doesn't need achievements, and achievements don't make a game better. People refrain themselves from modding just for the sake of achievements.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Valkyronix wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:09 pm
And I am aware that it is a recurring request, however I wanted to suggest a solution that's more than just "enable all achievements".
Just enable steam achievements and have modded achievement list merged with regular list and allow commands, cheats and editor for achievements is probably better though. Much easier to implement, they can remove code, mods become a viable solution for issues for handicapped people with a achievement obsession, we get rid of issues with people accidentally locking themselves out of achievements or refusing to accept help in form of commands etc
Koub wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:45 am
If it were me, I'd remove achievements altogether : I came under the conclusion that achievements have a tendency to :
2) make me play with less pleasure to the point I can get fed up with a game (which is bad)

[3] A good game doesn't need achievements, and achievements don't make a game better. [4] People refrain themselves from modding just for the sake of achievements.
Agree with point 2, 3 and 4. And just allowing all cheats for achievements solves most of the issues.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Qon wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:44 pm
Koub wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:45 am

[3] A good game doesn't need achievements, and achievements don't make a game better. [4] People refrain themselves from modding just for the sake of achievements.
Agree with point 2, 3 and 4. And just allowing all cheats for achievements solves most of the issues.
Ditto. And as such, yeah, I feel like achievements should just be allowed regardless, or they should be simply removed. All they're good for (if you restrict them to vanilla, no cheats only) is epeen waving, and I've never considered that as a good/desirable thing.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”