Fluid Systems: Recipes with multiple of the same input consider both inputs as the same system

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Seventh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Fluid Systems: Recipes with multiple of the same input consider both inputs as the same system

Post by Seventh »

TL;DR:
Chemical Plants with multiple of the same kind of input fluid intakes, should not consider both intakes as part of the same system.
Essentially, ALL FLUID INPUTS should be considered separate unless the pipes are connected.
The issue:
Here, I believe I should still be able to place the pipe, as there is never going to be any heavy oil in the pipe for the Lubricant output.
Fluid inputs are counted as part of a system
Fluid inputs are counted as part of a system
lubricant-sample.png (968.17 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Now, I can of course get around the restriction by placing a ghost and having a construction bot forcibly place the pipe for me, but there's a problem.
We can see that the systems are somehow connected through the input, despite there not being any pipe connection between the two.
This storage chest should never contain any heavy oil, yet it shows the heavy oil in the system.
Despite not being connected to any heavy oil, the storage tank displays the values of heavy oil
Despite not being connected to any heavy oil, the storage tank displays the values of heavy oil
fluid-system.png (903.31 KiB) Viewed 210 times
My wish is that fluid inputs are not considered to be the same system when there are multiple of the same input, but rather that each input be considered a separate system.
A caveat:
I am aware that you can pump input fluids back OUT of a structure with a recipe using a pump, but you cannot do it if there is a pipe between them, essentially the pump turns an input into an output. Although I would imagine that there are more cases of wanting to "pass the 'wrong' liquid by" than there is to "pump an input fluid back out".
Pumping an input fluid back out
Pumping an input fluid back out
input-output-oil.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 210 times
Reasoning:
This is a minor issue for base game Factorio, as the fluid recipes in the game are few and far between, and as far as I know, there are only a handful of recipes with multiple inputs of the same kind. HOWEVER, it is a larger issue for mods with more fluids and larger structures with multiple fluid inputs.
I am sure you guys are familiar with space exploration, where there are not only many kind of inputs, but outputs as well, typically as byproducts to manage.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Fluid Systems: Recipes with multiple of the same input consider both inputs as the same system

Post by Illiander42 »

Something to be aware of:

How this would effect dragging a pipe along the line of chem plants.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fluid Systems: Recipes with multiple of the same input consider both inputs as the same system

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Completely disagree with the suggestion.

As an alternative suggestion to accomplish the same end goal (and I feel like may have been suggested before): the ability to disable/close an input/output when there is a duplicate of it available on the same entity.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”